3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

good price to offer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 02:30 PM
korby05
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Alpheus
I found an 06 2500 here for 10K it has over 100K miles but its a fully loaded quad cab with a 5.7 .

but I digress.

I would say don't low ball a family member but you want a good deal also. I hate dealing with money matters with family members, so just ask her to give it to ya for free. Tell her you will mow the lawn or rake leaves and clean out the gutters for a couple of years. Or are there other grand children involved that will get jealous if you get a free truck? Or your aunts and uncles getting mad because you took advantage of their mother? That will just ruin Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers because of all the tension in the air, oh I could go on and on. See what I mean???
i agree..i am one of seven grand children and her theory is and it is a good theory...is if she gives to one she has to give to all of us fairly and i agree with her. plus i don't want the truck just given to me i want to feel like i earned it

Old 03-12-2009 | 02:35 PM
korby05
|
Professional

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
Sounds like you have an opportunity to get yourself a nice truck, that you know the history of; thats rare in its self. This is what I would do, but this is just me and MY family, I dont know how your family is.

I would tell G-ma what the trucks are going for, and what you were thinking of offering her, however knowing the history of the truck and because its family, your willing to pay more if it will help her get her new truck. If this is your first truck, you can say this too; your first truck, and you are willing to pay what she wants, but you dont want to mess yourself up financially, in case you have to sell it in the future.

I dont know, It would work in my family. No hitch, no hard feelings, and i would have a great deal on a great truck.

TALON... TRUCK IS LOOKING GOOD MAN. those wheels and tires did the trick...
nah this isn't my first truck...my first truck and i still have is a 94 chevy s10 5 speed four cylinder..i got that when i was 16 and i'm 22 now...i got it somewhere around the time she got her truck and i always loved that truck...so i feel very lucky to have the opportunity to own it...the funny part is the truck still has the new truck smell since it has never been smoked in.

Old 03-12-2009 | 02:40 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I would see what similar trucks are selling for and give her a fair price if you are set on this particular truck. Don't try to lowball her or anything like that. After all, she is blood. But in all honesty, I would just help her sell it to someone else and buy a different truck. I have just never been a fan of mixing business and family.

Old 03-12-2009 | 05:45 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I would see what similar trucks are selling for and give her a fair price if you are set on this particular truck. Don't try to lowball her or anything like that. After all, she is blood. But in all honesty, I would just help her sell it to someone else and buy a different truck. I have just never been a fan of mixing business and family.
i agree. dont try to cheat out of what it is really worth. offer her the price that you can get for a truck like that in your area. different areas have different prices so kbb really is not a great price to compare. my guess is $7k for a descent price but it could be different where you live. personally, i dont have a problem buying about family. think about this way, youre actually helping them out because they wont have to go to the trouble of advertising and finding a buyer. also, you know exactly what that truck has been through

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:35 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you do right by your family first. Everything else comes after that.

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:03 PM
korby05
|
Professional

thats what i mean family does come first and i would never do anything to try and lowball my grandparents plus the fact is she knows that and she will also give me the truck at a fair price...i was actually thinking about it...i wouldn't go any lower then 7000 just for the simple fact of the condition it is in...

like somebody else try to find one thats in the same condition and not buy from family...thats kinda hard around here because everything isn't that great of condition or ppl just hold on to them to long....plus the prices here are ridiculous...for a truck like hers but had a bunch of dents and paint chips missing they still wanted 11,000. so i already said i wouldn't pay more then 11,000 for it....and she knows that and like i said she will be fair and so will i

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:16 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Try edmunds.com true market value.

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:04 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
Sounds like you have an opportunity to get yourself a nice truck, that you know the history of; thats rare in its self. This is what I would do, but this is just me and MY family, I dont know how your family is.

I would tell G-ma what the trucks are going for, and what you were thinking of offering her, however knowing the history of the truck and because its family, your willing to pay more if it will help her get her new truck. If this is your first truck, you can say this too; your first truck, and you are willing to pay what she wants, but you dont want to mess yourself up financially, in case you have to sell it in the future.

I dont know, It would work in my family. No hitch, no hard feelings, and i would have a great deal on a great truck.

TALON... TRUCK IS LOOKING GOOD MAN. those wheels and tires did the trick...
thanks. a work in progress. gotta get my pocket flairs, hood, and lift. then she will really be lookin like something. here,s a bigger shot. donnt feel bad jackin the thread cause this is the same truck he's lookin at.

Last edited by talon6; 03-13-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2009 | 07:25 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

$10K is a bit too much. Edmund's says $8200 "private party". Sounds like a good deal. Remember, that 5.9 is a thirsty so-and-so.

Old 03-13-2009 | 10:11 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

very thirsty. i get about 10mpg.

Quick Reply: good price to offer