3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 PM
BrianD215
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've considered getting a CB. What kind of use are you guys really getting out of these things?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:56 AM
06Ramin
Amateur

I have my CB mounted in the center console of my 06 QC for now, i am trying to find somewhere to mount it where it is not in the way but easier to get to.
As for what kind of use you get out of it...I always have it on while i am on the highway the truckers all talk about where the cops are hiding and if there is an accident or bad traffic ahead they will let you know so you can take a detour. You also hear some crazy stuff from some of the truckers...they make fun of people in other cars and sometimes that is entertaining.
A lot of CB radios also have a PA output whitch is fun

Old 03-14-2009, 02:07 AM
BrianD215
Professional

Yeah, the PA function was probably at least 80% of my motivation to get one. Anytime I can make fun of others even more loudly than usual... I am a happy guy.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use a cb everday at the coal mine. thats how we all communicate. i probably talk for atleast 2hrs a day on mine.donnt mess around with cheap ones. get you a galaxy or connex, have it peeked and tuned by a cb shop, and a wilson 5000 antenna. you will talk all over the place and hear just as well.and get you a good handle. its a blast. mine is "waterdog". i am running a galaxy 99 with a wilson 5000 antenna. it works great. its in my work truck though.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

I have a 06 so its a bit diff
but i mounted my scanner on the cup holder thing to the left of the handle.
I used two L brackets. I can take some pics tomorrow if ya want.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional

ive posted b4 but heres where i put it.
Name:  Picture068.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  62.0 KB

Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

i have the cb in my center console (seat that flips up) and i have the wire run through the sliding rear window with a 2 1/2 ft antenna on the top of the cab which makes my truck look like a unicorn lol

Old 05-09-2009, 02:02 AM
AK Rover
Rookie

I have a Uniden PC78LTW mounted in front of the center seat cushion. I don't talk on it a lot but I always have it on to listen for traffic reports. My radio also has weatherbands so I listen to the weather reports a lot.

Have any of you with CBs experienced a lot of electrical noise? I'm getting a lot according to the meter on my radio. I'm going to install a noise filter in the power line to see if it helps but wanted to know if anyone had problems.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
southernbnb
Captain

ive got a cobra 19 in my truck with a cheap magnetic antenna. i picked them both up at walmart last week before i took my grandmother to florida for her sisters funeral! i had forgot how much fun it was talking to all the truckers! im gonna get a cobra 29, like i had in my work truck when i was on the road, here in the next few weeks. and i like the look of mounting it in the space in the console. i never use that thing anyway. as soon as i get it mounted i will post pictures of it.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
AK Rover
Rookie

Originally Posted by southernbnb
ive got a cobra 19 in my truck with a cheap magnetic antenna. i picked them both up at walmart last week before i took my grandmother to florida for her sisters funeral! i had forgot how much fun it was talking to all the truckers! im gonna get a cobra 29, like i had in my work truck when i was on the road, here in the next few weeks. and i like the look of mounting it in the space in the console. i never use that thing anyway. as soon as i get it mounted i will post pictures of it.
Check out the Uniden 78 radios. Same size and features as the Cobra 29 but made a little better. I have both the 78LTW and 78Elite (in different vehicles obviously). Both have weather and illuminated face plate. Only difference between the 2 is that the Elite has amber illumination instead of green and the Elite has a better stock mic. I had a Cobra 29 for 14 years and loved it but don't think I could go back after getting these Unidens.

You can get factory refurbished Uniden 78s direct from Uniden for under $100. That's how I got my Elite. Cost me $65 when it was on special and another $2 to have it shipped.

Quick Reply: CB Radios