3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Legal or Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that they are legal, but that isn't really what you need to worry about. What you need to watch for is if someone should ever rear end you and then claim that it was because of diminished light output from your tinted tails. That is where the headache begins. When I get some tinted tails (which will be soon) I am also going to add a line of fire to be safe and bc it looks cool.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ivaskaj
Put them on. It's not up to the government to tell you what you can and can't do to your private property.
That, without a doubt, is the dumbest statement i have ever read on here.

No offense intended.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
V10Venom
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem, but I do them with caution. I don't make them nearly as black as many do.

Name:  DSCF0409.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  110.0 KB

Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeoRamCowgirl
Everything that I have looked at is pretty much what I saw here

if it DOT approved - it's legal

I have to strongly disagree. Any officer that sights tint on anything that he/she feels obstructs anothers view or the vehicles operators view, a citation can be issued. It's called Obstruction of view. If an officer thinks that tint is too dark on the headlights or tailights that hinders the purpose of them (very dim brake lights), he/she can write you a ticket.
9 out of 10 Laws are written to provide loop holes for issuant writing the ticket(s). In the end, ultimate ruling lies with the officer and court you appear in.

If you tint lightly you shouldn't have any problems, but to say if it's DOT approved means it's legal is a complete fallacy. Companies get those DOT approved for offroading and not for highway use. In any case, like I said....It's up to the officer writing the ticket.

I'm gonna just pick one out of the box here..... Did you know that you can get a ticket for too much or too little tire pressure!!! You can get a ticket if your headlights are aimed properly. There's a book that is as thick as a phone book for trafic infractions and vehicle violations. Good luck on beating it.

Quick Reply: Legal or Illegal?