3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The "Hemi" is really a "Poly". WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeoRamCowgirl
well I know that but you dont have that lift on that truck like Nitto does, the bottom of his door probably comes up to my chest, I kid you not, the boy toy's Rubicon comes up to right below my chest, perfect height to lean in and rest on the seat and talk to him LMAO as I am sure he is enjoying that view

--Cow-Chick--
That post is useless without a photo!!!!!

They use the HEMI name because the valves sit across from each other like the original
HEMI did instead of side by side or canted. This allows for a straight shot across the cylinder with the valves being angled and positioned that way. They use 2 plugs per cylinder to reduce emissions. I'm sure this is why John Force uses twin plugs too

Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
BrianD215
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read this before in some article. It's close enough to being a real Hemi in my opinion. It's Hemi "inspired" at least.

Let's not focus on the downside. :-)

Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1

They use the HEMI name because the valves sit across from each other like the original
HEMI did instead of side by side or canted. This allows for a straight shot across the cylinder with the valves being angled and positioned that way. They use 2 plugs per cylinder to reduce emissions. I'm sure this is why John Force uses twin plugs too
Yup...valve placement is one of the major benefits of the "hemi" head. You can get bigger valves, it reduces shrouding and the intake valve is as close as you can get to the intake manifold. All this is a good thing.

Hammer, show your friend two side by side pics from an original hemi and an modern hemi...if he still says they have nothing in common he's in denial. Of course they can't be the same, the original hemi is a dirty *** engine and would never pass emissions let alone get decent mileage.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
manualagain
Professional

BenD, don't go calling that 4.7 no 'semi-hemi' either, its a 'semi-poly' don't ya know!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
if he still says they have nothing in common he's in denial. Of course they can't be the same, the original hemi is a dirty *** engine and would never pass emissions let alone get decent mileage.
nevermind how much of a pain in the *** it was to manufacture. thing flowed air like a turbine though

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

We do have a true Hemi on our trucks. All that a Hemi is is a registered trademark of Chrysler. Otherwise, we can't call our trucks Rams. It isn't truly a Ram, as it obviously isn't an animal and is a truck.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
That post is useless without a photo!!!!!
Hun, that is why there is a Chest shot in my Sig that was taken in that white Ram that is also in there...

Like my sig says "Prefect matches take time, but no Ram is ever complete til you got a Cowgirl sittin Shotgun..."

Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by red06RAM
Just tell him he's not driving a real truck.
Although it's a Ford, his truck is bada$$. Its a 01 F250 PS Turbo Diesel with like 10" of lift, huge fender flares, winch bumper, etc.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I got a call over the weekend from a guy I used to play golf with. He was REALLY struggling with his swing and asked me to hit a few bucket of ***** at the range and try to offer a suggestion or two. I worked as an assistant pro part-time from the fall of '05 to the spring of '08 and had played a few rounds with this guy, a 17 year Chrysler mechanic.

So, where this relates to DF, is that as we are hitting *****, we are talking about Dodge trucks in general, the problems with the CTD 6.7 and a little bit about the Hemi. That's when he made THE statement in that "the modern Hemi isn't really a Hemi at all, it's a Poly".

So of course, I bit and asked "what the hell is a Poly"?

He then went on the tell me that the modern Hemi was just an attempt by Dahmler-Chrysler to capitalize on the name of probably the greatest V8 engine ever produced - the 426 Hemi.

But unlike it's namesake, this new Hemi does NOT have hemispherical shaped combustion chambers at all, but instead, utilizes a pinched chamber, which more closely resembles the 1950's Chrysler engines that actually were the pre-runners of the true "Hemi's" of the muscle car era.

Seems Dahmler-Chrysler engineers found that by utilizing the "Poly" shaped combustion chambers, they would be able to produce a lower-cost alternative head design for their V8 engines. The Polyspherical head design needs much less metal and is narrower due to using only one rocker shaft. This saved Dahmler-Chrysler costs in materials and engine size which in turn allowed it to be used in smaller vehicles, giving it a "one engine fits most" V8 to be used across most of the vehicles in it's line-up, both cars and trucks.

The only thing our modern "Hemi" engine shares with the true Hemi of yesteryear is the fact that they use an active combustion chamber designed to tumble and swirl the fuel/air mix within the chamber for the most efficient combustion event possible.

So, is anybody going to re-badge their truck with a "Poly" emblem?...
Have you looked under a 5.7 hemi valve cover lately? Last I checked, there were two rocker shafts...The ORIGINAL hemi (50's) was initially marketed as the dual rocker shaft engine, not as a hemi until later.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 03-20-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeoRamCowgirl
Hun, that is why there is a Chest shot in my Sig that was taken in that white Ram that is also in there...

Like my sig says "Prefect matches take time, but no Ram is ever complete til you got a Cowgirl sittin Shotgun..."
Well, I guess i'm getting old and need bigger pictures