3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stump pullin...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stump pullin...

Im proud of my little blue ram today. I was working on the yard and decided to see hoe strong this thing was. So I hooked up a couple tow ropes around a 4" diameter tap root stump, Wrapped it around my tow hitch and pulled in 2wd first. Well 2wd didn't work, So I through it into 4lo, the ram stressed for a moment and then all came loose. At first I thought I had broken the ropes, but nope. There laying on the ground was a stump with a 6ft, yes 6ft, tap root.

Anyone ever done that with there ram...

Im so proud of lil blue, She gets some fresh mobile 1 tommorow.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol thats funny when it snowed in good ole spfd i had to pull my friends mustang up and out of a ditch that was fun spinning in 4x4 but it got the job done

Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Im getting ready to do the same thing in my yard. Ive got a big tree beside my driveway where i want to concrete. It about 10-11 inches in diameter, should be fun. If the 4.7 can pull it, i know the mile marker 12000 will!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
traker1001
Captain

fourseven, Id really like to know how that works out, I wasn't brave enough to yank out the 10" stump I have in my yard, Yet...

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by traker1001
fourseven, Id really like to know how that works out, I wasn't brave enough to yank out the 10" stump I have in my yard, Yet...
Well, you won't be pulling that one out with tow ropes. That is certain. Without out a winch, it may be a bit hopeless. If anything, you would need one of those large hooks that goes into your tow receiver, and some chains. Of course, if a chain or hook snaps, don't be anywhere near it.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
traker1001
Captain

probably not, ill probably just tow home a stump grinder..

Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friends dad had a chain snap on his excursion and it put a hole threw the back door and the hook hit the back seat

Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

thats why you always use straps versus chains.

We will see what happens, should be fun. I know where i can get a cummins if winch and horsepower wont do it.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
my friends dad had a chain snap on his excursion and it put a hole threw the back door and the hook hit the back seat
Yeah, I've seen some winch cables snap during various firefighting and rescue stuff I've done. If you weight them down by draping loose chain over them it's not too horrible, but if you just hope for the best, those things will do some serious damage. They'll cut you right in half if you're dumb enough to stand there. And large tow ropes surprisingly can do just as much damage. I read a case study of a firefighter who was killed by a tow rope. They got their fire engine stuck in some mud on a farm trying to get close to a pond to use the water. After the emergency was over, the farmer offered to pull out their rig with a tractor. The farmer used his own huge tow rope. Well, the rope held, but the hitch on the tractor failed. The rope was stretched tight, so it snapped back at the fire engine and threw the shackle and eyelet through the windshield. Needless to say the guy had no chance of surviving that.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
thats why you always use straps versus chains.

We will see what happens, should be fun. I know where i can get a cummins if winch and horsepower wont do it.
We actually say the opposite thing. We only use chains on our farm, never ropes. My uncle is scared to death of tow ropes pulling things out. Mostly because of where the rope ties into the hook, he says that is dangerous if it ever snaps.
We had a combine stuck, and attempted to pull it out with the tractor. The chain snapped due to partly a miscommunication, and that the mud was too deep for the chain to handle. It snapped, but towards the center, and neither end went more than 3 feet from where it was before snapping.
But you need to be sure that the chain can handle it like anything. Chains have also snapped. The most we've always heard about are the big log chains snapping when pulling someone out.
Glad to hear you got the root out. There's a video of a Ram pulling a fair sized stump out on YouTube.

Quick Reply: Stump pullin...