3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls/Bucks at Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM12
Damn Hammer, if that fixes it that easy ... you'll be like my new hero ... man! I'll give it a try soon as I get home and let you know. Thanks
yeh,hammer is a hero. you must not know that he runs around is his superman footie pajamas. cape and all. and keeps yelling up,up and away. lol

Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
1) Turn the key to run (don't start the engine)

2) Wait about 5 seconds for the dash lights to got out. Slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and slowly let it back up. You should hear a confirmation "ding" sound when the pedal comes all the way back up.

3) Turn the key off...

You've got be kidding me, it's that easy?

What happened to the years upon years of hitting it with a voltmeter and setting it for WOT and idle?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
kylanmoore

Originally Posted by talon6
yeh you are probably hitting the limiter.mine limits out before it hits the redline too. and you do know that we still have the junky trans in our trucks donnt you?
Yeah but the trans should shift at that point. If I'm at a dead stop and floor it she moves until the rev limiter hits, it should shift into 2nd right? I have to let off the pedal and let it shift then its fine after that.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeh it should shift. what i was getting at i guess is that we still have the 46re trans. which is known to fail. i cannt remember off the top of my head what the new trans #'s are for the new hemi's. alot less issues with the new trans. your bands might need adjusted,or your tv cable.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by talon6
yeh it should shift. what i was getting at i guess is that we still have the 46re trans. which is known to fail. i cannt remember off the top of my head what the new trans #'s are for the new hemi's. alot less issues with the new trans. your bands might need adjusted,or your tv cable.
The trans in the 08 is the 545 RFE ! First scheduled service is 120,000 mi.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kylanmoore
Yeah but the trans should shift at that point. If I'm at a dead stop and floor it she moves until the rev limiter hits, it should shift into 2nd right? I have to let off the pedal and let it shift then its fine after that.
I think the 545 came out in 03 didn't it?

I would definately say pull your TV cable back (towards the firewall) and 1/8 inch or so and see how that does. If it makes it worse, go the other direction. Sounds like the throttle is at WOT but TV cable isn't.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kylanmoore
Yeah but it doesnt shift out of 1st when floored from a stop. I have to let off and gently give it gas tell it shifts then I can floor it.

Installing aftermarket gears or a tuner can cause these effects. Aftermarket numerically higher gears can cause the trans to rev high and not allow shifting until you let off the gas. Ford has this problem among their trannies when gears are installed, especially in the Merauder and Mustangs.

To the original poster. I would eliminate all the variables that could cause that situation. Plug blow-out is one of them, but only in severly damaged plugs or supecharged applications generally have that issue. Fuel problem...I.E. fuel pressure regulator bad or fuel filer clogged and not allowing enough fuel to flow through. Also, check your PCV valve make sure it's not clogged. I wouold make sur all vaccum hoses are ssecure an intact under the hood although you should have set a code for a vaccum issue or have an irratic or high idle. I 'm thinking you have an issue regarding fuel supply. Doesn't seem right that any TPS would act up only during WOT and not have any ill effects at idle or coming to a stop????

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Stalls/Bucks at Full Throttle