3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does this look bright??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
seawind3000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I visit PA every now and then, a good friend of mine is mayor of Lancaster PA and another friend owns a cycle shop in Altoona PA. I'll keep em on low beam for ya.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by seawind3000
I visit PA every now and then, a good friend of mine is mayor of Lancaster PA and another friend owns a cycle shop in Altoona PA. I'll keep em on low beam for ya.
I'm a half hour away from Lancaster. I'll keep an eye out for a UFO on the highway haha

Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 AM
kicker417
Veteran

they look real good

Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
seawind3000
Professional

Thanks, they are a pleasure to drive with.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3
You really need projector housings. The HIDs might melt the stock housings. Not to mention, there's no cut off which will scatter light everywhere and blind everyone.

It's also illegal in every state to put HID's in vehicle that did not come with them from the factory. As long as you use projectors, you won't get hassled and will pass inspection.

HID's with correct cutoff and that are SAFE, should look like this:

I agree EXCEPT the melting of the housings. HID's use less power and generate Less Heat than Halogen. Please tell me how you could possible melt your housing by such a thing???? Only using aftermarket Halogen bulbs that claim 55w when they are really 65 or 75watts will melt your wiring and possibly your housing. But not HID's. No way.

Projector housings are the only option for the HID bulbs. You cannot and will not get the same light cut-off with eyelids, they sit too high up on the light. HID bulbs are literally cut in half by a spectrum to achieve that cut-off line. Even turning the lights down still produces very bright scattered light that can still blind oncoming traffic. Just because they don't flash you doesn't mean they didn't think it was bright. Drive by some one you know and ask them what they thought about the brightness.

Projector housing are meant to carry the light beam further than a standard halogen light. It's a very focused beam as well so if it looks brighter further is because of it's design. It's the whole idea.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
chopperzen
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look good, but damn! How bright do you need? You drive with HID, fogs AND Hellas? Are YOU blind?! I like HIDs, but I don't like them when they are driving towards me. They make headlights so bright nowadays that we're gonna have self dimming windshields soon.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I agree EXCEPT the melting of the housings. HID's use less power and generate Less Heat than Halogen. Please tell me how you could possible melt your housing by such a thing???? Only using aftermarket Halogen bulbs that claim 55w when they are really 65 or 75watts will melt your wiring and possibly your housing. But not HID's. No way.

Projector housings are the only option for the HID bulbs. You cannot and will not get the same light cut-off with eyelids, they sit too high up on the light. HID bulbs are literally cut in half by a spectrum to achieve that cut-off line. Even turning the lights down still produces very bright scattered light that can still blind oncoming traffic. Just because they don't flash you doesn't mean they didn't think it was bright. Drive by some one you know and ask them what they thought about the brightness.

Projector housing are meant to carry the light beam further than a standard halogen light. It's a very focused beam as well so if it looks brighter further is because of it's design. It's the whole idea.
Believe it or not, I've seen HID's somehow melt stock housings. Granted these were cheap unreliable kits, and anything under $300 is going to be cheap garbage that's liable to burn the truck to the ground. The cheap Chinese ballasts and igniters like going up in flames.

I agree completely with what you've said, but I've already been deemed the new forum dick because I use logic and do things right.

Quick Reply: Does this look bright??