3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MY HID retrofit with FX35 projectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-fix-diy.html

shows how to fix the flickering DIY and it contains the info on how to buy a ready-made fix on ebay.

If I convert the truck to HID I'll first get projector lenses from ebay. Sure, a retrofit is the right way but a halogen projector with a good cutoff is ok with me. It beats slapping HID bulbs in the stock housing!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
AhmedRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man there is a cheap solution which i did long time ago. just make a bridge where wire passes through a halogen lamp. so when you turn on ur lights then the halogens turn on also. all u need to do is hide the halogens anywhere under the hood and then the HID will work fine. hope you understood what i was saying. pm if u need any help

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
mariano3113

Originally Posted by stfuBUDDY
nope, i took those projectors out and installed ORACLE HALO LIGHTS instead... too much problems with the rams computer,SO FOR ME IT WAS A FAILED ATTEMPT i put the projectors in my moms 2008 explorer, it looks OEM so i think it looks better on her car.. http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/p...urrent=AAC.flv
Sorry to hear that it was too much of a pain to wire for you. But the halo lights look clean and have a nice touch to them.

As for "bridging" the wiring to a regular halogen bulb, I thought about doing that, but since I neeeded a wiring harness anyway I'd figure I'd search for one that cured the problem. Speaking of which, I think Unique-Coatings uses the same HID kits or sources them as Twiggy because that "passenger bulb simulator" looks just like the one included in his kit.

I'll continue to post my results in this thread if that's ok............since it would be answering the problem. I don't wanna thread jack but I think it's still on topic with posting a solution to the OP's first post.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM
stfuBUDDY

yea it is cool, np. and yea ahmed that is what i did too! keeping the halogens on as well, i tried that, but yea. thanks for your help guys

Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
mariano3113
Question TL Retrofit working

Got my TL retro functioning with no "lamp-out" errors and Bi-Xenons are complete minus some night time adjusting to ensure cut-off accuracy. (Thanks goes out to Twiggy for the $65 harness that is basically plug'n'play for my ballasts and bi-xenon projectors with no lamp-out.) So night pics to come but in the mean time here are some pics of the TL retro, My Viper Seats, and a video showing with no "lamp-out".

http://www.vimeo.com/4567483

Last edited by mariano3113; 05-09-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Video link
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
stfuBUDDY

nice man, i need twiggy to make me one of those harnesses, good job, and also i put my ballasts in a notther spot where it iss hidden, looks cleaner,

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Read this.......

http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231858

replace the ***** with Dodge Talk but one word and not two

Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
mariano3113

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Read this.......

http://www.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231858

replace the ***** with Dodge Talk but one word and not two

Yeah that was were I first read up on a fix, but was tried to get a pre-made harness from NDBoost. (But never replied to my PM's) So I was hoping someone had just integrated the resistors into a standard Bi-xenon harness, which is what they've odne now. Twiggy sells the harness for $65 and I'm not sure how much they're from Unique Coatings but I'm almost positive they are the same harness since the passenger plug "bulb simiulator" looks identical.

I had the ballasts inside the engine bay but I kept removing them to test other projector projects since my Phillips XD ballasts have a unique wiring setup that has bee hard-wired into my Bike so I can't use those to test HID projects. But I may relocate them back once I get everything squared away.

Right now I was running into an issue regarding aiming. Since the TL's are so massive they are a tad too low, so I installed some spacers to move the rather enormous projectors upward so I can perfect the cut-off. (Love the purple cut-off line reflecting off bumpers, cars, trees,........etc...)

Quick Reply: MY HID retrofit with FX35 projectors