3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$9,120 and not totaled?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
Let me start by saying that this isnt at all "Ram" oriented, but ya'll are my people, so please let this slide.....

We FINALLY got the durango back Friday. The wreck happened on V-day, so its been over a month. I will say, for the most part, the truck was put together pretty well. Only issues are the running board (needs to be brought up a little in the front) and a little shadowing on the rear door (clearcoat im suspecting).

But, I gotta feeling Im about to go to war. When we got there to pick'er up, they told us that we had to cut a check for $400 for 2 tires, because of the "tire betterment" bs. Now, talk about someones cheeks being chapped. Hell, we never heard anything about it. No call asking what tires we wanted, no call saying we had to cough up $400 bucks before they would release the truck.

Next issue: As the title says, the damages totaled $9120. The 'fair market value' in this area for this truck, all options being equal, is $9200!!!! How in the F%#!k did this truck not get totaled? I mean, damn. The WHOLE driver side was skinned, new rearend housing, and some framework was done, according to the paperwork.

I guess my whole point of this thread is to ask....... is it time to drag a lawyer in this? I think so. Someone is doing crooked business here. At first I was thinking it was the ins. co. But, now, I believe its the bodyshop. They didnt want to total it cause they wouldnt get the business, is my thinking.

I just want to get a little more edumacation before I shell out another $100 bones for a laywer consultation. If anything, thanks for reading....

If anyones interested (ie gives a flying rats ***), I could scan the work order, if it helps anything. Thanks again,...
Everything you said, except for the $400 tires, should have been brought up to your insurance adjuster BEFORE the vehicle was fixed and paid for. The damage actually only has to be 80% of the value before it can be totaled...it's up to the insurance company/adjuster. Sad thing is the shop more than likely cut every corner possible to keep it under the max value...that would also explain the $400 thing. I'm sure the insurance company wanted to total it...that way they could just pay you off and then sell the truck for parts/scrap.

You're probably right about the body shop pushing the insurance to fix it...and they caved since you weren't there to speak up for the total.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 03-23-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

I thought that it was 50% to total a vehicle. Maybe not.
I'm not an expert in this by any means, but seeing things, I'm getting this basic image. As you said, you think that the shop wanted the business. After all, that's a good bit of money. The insurance company may have been somewhat pressured into agreeing to fix the vehicle. Now with the tires, if they charged insurance, you would definitely have a case, as the cost of the repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. So they decided to instead charge the tires to you, so that the repairs wouldn't be over 100% damage. Therefore you may have said "Oh well, at least the repairs didn't total more than the vehicle is worth." and then walked away not complaining.
But I'd say that there is a case, and someone on the insurance company may say that they were pressured into agreeing, so that insurance company can get their money back, not pay for the vehicle repairs, get the vehicle and sell it, or whatever may come their way.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Alrighty, thanks everyone for your responses. I guess Im gonna just give ol lawboy a shout and see what he thinks. He's a pretty good dude, if its not worth my time, or his, he'll tell me straight-up. I guess thats all I really can do.....

Another quick fyi, the bodyshop is on Allstates "blue ribbon program", as they are on Nationwides also. Thats why they were referred. Guess thats what I get for going to where they suggested, which I did know better, just took the name and reputation of the bodyshop for granted.

The webs we weave. Thanks again ya'll. Im down for the count tonight. Yall be good.....

Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They tried to give me that kind of nonsense when my car was wrecked. "We can't let it leave here without 2 new tires." I don't know who makes that up but there is no legal standing for them to demand anything. It could leave driving on four flats if I wanted it to. It's my property and I've paid for its repair. They no longer had any legal claim to the vehicle.

I pulled the cell and was going to call the police to file theft charges when they decided that I might be "allowed" to have the car as-is. How nice of them.

It's all just a scam to get more money out of you. They get a deal on the tires and mark 'em up like the rest of their supplies. Meanwhile, like you said, you get no choice over what was bought. I had already planned to change the tires -- I wasn't about to buy 2 more of the ones I wanted to be rid of!

I learned though. Next time I need body work I'll settle the tire part up front. Nobody is going to milk money out of me just because they have an official-sounding attitude.

Quick Reply: $9,120 and not totaled?!?!