3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got an unusual rear diff problem???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I would try new oil but I think we can rule out a lot of stuff with the carrier being set up incorrectly as far as being too tight. stuff doesn't get tighter over 81k it gets looser which is the strange part. and if it was too tight after 81k that rear would be toasted. Is that rear end semi or full float? if it's full float the bearing on the hub could be shot or the bearing inside the axle if it's a semi floater.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
why not just try changing the oil and see if that does it?

The oil was changed last year. Then again when the cover was rusting out about 3 months ago. However, i did just change the fluid but have not towed with it since my father is on vacation until this weekend. The problem is very apparent when towing. My trailer are under 1500lbs empty. i have nothing in them so i'm gonna wait for him to get home to pull his dump. I did drive his truck from my house tohis and din't notice much of anything. Maybe there was just water in with the oil as the 75w-140 is renowned for not absorbing causing a frothy mix. The oil that came out wasn't that frothy, but some moisture was apparent.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Ben D.
Champion

funny you mention dog you had a silverado with a bad rear. My dad bought an 05 sierra and got rid of it within a year because of how bad the rear end was. real clunky and stuff. Now he has an 06 Ram he bought new a while back.

o and tell your dad get a dodge because with the deals dealerships are doing now he could probably get a new dodge for less than the A-plan price on a ford truck. My dad works for Case new holland which was formerly ford new holland. we had a-plan. if you haggle for another brand it's just as good. A-plan is invoice price no questions asked.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I may have missed it, but is this an f150?

Hows the alignment on the truck? Could the rear end be a little tweaked sideways causing a bind in the rear when turning? thats a wild guess, but I think anything goes right now.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben.D
funny you mention dog you had a silverado with a bad rear. My dad bought an 05 sierra and got rid of it within a year because of how bad the rear end was. real clunky and stuff. Now he has an 06 Ram he bought new a while back.
My spider gears were worn so bad, i didn't want to drive home yet I had been driving on them for 20kmi+. There were grooves so bad it look like field mice burrows in the grass after the snow melts...lol Basically I could eat soup out of the worm holes in the surface of the gears. Anyways, GM dealership wanted $289 for the set. i got mine for $89. Same name the dealership uses AAM. American Axle Man. Anyways, the rear clunked when i threw it in drive, but more so in reverse. Also if i were coasting and then tap the gas, you could feel the rear end clunk because of the sever backlash in the rear end. truck was super tight afterwards.

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
I may have missed it, but is this an f150?
Yeppers 04, Problem is on a F-150. Alignment is good, but evevn if it weren't that's the front end not the back. Also, it wouldn't matters since it's an open carrrier

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I guess what I meant was, if the re end was ****-eyed, it might put a weird bind on the re end when you turned. Which would also cause the truck to drive down the road funny. just a thought. Does it do it when you turn both ways?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would first verify that the transfer case is disengaging.

My 01 did this, but it was a LS 9.75. It was about due for it's first oil change @ 74K.
No reason for an open carrier to drag a wheel like that. unless the front end is still engaged.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here ya go theese people should help with your problem: http://fordforum.com/forum/

Quick Reply: Got an unusual rear diff problem???