3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Night-Shades legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

OMFG, for like the second time in the almost two years I've been on DF, The Big Admin, actually strayed into 3rd Gen Ram, AND Posted, no less!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get a line of fire..what happens then? you think they can still give you crap about the tail lights being tinted?

my guess is yes but i dont know

Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

i have had gts covers headlights/taillights on mine since i bought my truck and never gotten pulled over for it just my exhaust lol unfortunately i have my wifes bmw taillights smoked dark too and of course shes gotten pulled over three times for it!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
if you get a line of fire..what happens then? you think they can still give you crap about the tail lights being tinted?

my guess is yes but i dont know
Technically no. If they tried to ticket you, you would win in court. The law states that a vehicle must have at least "2" visible working tail lights. If you added a line of fire, you're truck would have 4. The two tails, 3rd brake, and line of fire.

So if you were to smoke your two tails, you would still have the 3rd brake light and line of fire to classify as two brake lights.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Technically no. If they tried to ticket you, you would win in court. The law states that a vehicle must have at least "2" visible working tail lights. If you added a line of fire, you're truck would have 4. The two tails, 3rd brake, and line of fire.

So if you were to smoke your two tails, you would still have the 3rd brake light and line of fire to classify as two brake lights.

Technically, the line of fire is two tails. Since you have the blinkers. As only one light couldn't turn into a blinker, and those things are rather bright. But I wouldn't worry, as that can clearly be judged as a brake light.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the idea of adding a line of fire is a good one. It looks good and it covers your a$$ should it come down to a situation where a cop feels that your tails are tinted too dark to count as functioning tails.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

From my connections with the local PD, they won't accept the line of fire as taillights. They say you have no chance in court using that as a defense.

Also, as ramracing4.7ltr has basically stated, it'll be up to the cop's discretion, but if he tickets you, you're going to have to remove the tint/cover to get it signed off or pay the fine. So, in that case, it may be safer to go with covers than tint.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
From my connections with the local PD, they won't accept the line of fire as taillights. They say you have no chance in court using that as a defense.
I am surprised to hear that. Did they give you a reason that the line of fire wouldn't count? It seems like it does the same thing as the tail light just in a different configuration.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com

Also, as ramracing4.7ltr has basically stated, it'll be up to the cop's discretion, but if he tickets you, you're going to have to remove the tint/cover to get it signed off or pay the fine. So, in that case, it may be safer to go with covers than tint.
Then that must be your particular police department or the your connection is just saying that, because i know for a fact it is a legal tail light where i live.

Ohio Code 4501-15-02

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 03-26-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Then that must be your particular police department or the your connection is just saying that, because i know for a fact it is a legal tail light where i live.

Ohio Code 4501-15-02
Should have specified that that applies to down here in Central Texas. Williamson County is full of a bunch of hard a$$ good 'ole boys. They'll find a reason to stop you if they feel like it.

Quick Reply: Night-Shades legal?