3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Night-Shades legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteliquid
It is legal as long as your tail LIGHTS are still clearly visible

(a good way to judge the visibility is to compare to the lund taillight blackout covers)

I can tell you that any kind of cover even if it's clear in the State of New York is Illegal. You cannot put any covers over your taillights, headlights or license plates. Ofcourse since it would be sprayed on, it would look like just another aftermarket taillight or even stock for some.
I would go the spray over any kind of plastic smoked cover. They can't prove you have spray unless they scratch it off, which is something they cannot do unless they have proved it first. (basically, they won't touch do much of anything, but the covers you'll get a ticket or they will make you pull them off.)

Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteliquid
It is legal as long as your tail LIGHTS are still clearly visible

(a good way to judge the visibility is to compare to the lund taillight blackout covers)

I can tell you that any kind of cover even if it's clear in the State of New York is Illegal. You cannot put any covers over your taillights, headlights or license plates. Ofcourse since it would be sprayed on, it would look like just another aftermarket taillight or even stock for some.
I would go the spray over any kind of plastic smoked cover. They can't prove you have spray unless they scratch it off, which is something they cannot do unless they have proved it first. (basically, they won't touch do much of anything, but the covers you'll get a ticket or they will make you pull them off.)

So, to make a long story short, it depends on the state and ticketing officer.

Quick Reply: Night-Shades legal?