3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you produce any documented tests or information with this? im not being an a$$, just asking because we have all seen short and long term friction tests proving synthetic to be the better choice so far...I would like to see something saying its not. If royal purple is bad, then is Mobil 1 bad also?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
can you produce any documented tests or information with this? im not being an a$$, just asking because we have all seen short and long term friction tests proving synthetic to be the better choice so far...I would like to see something saying its not. If royal purple is bad, then is Mobil 1 bad also?

You misunderstood.

I'm not denying the positives of synthetic. I'm saying specifically Royal Purple is junk.

A lot of people prefer M1 because in bench tests it's the same as RP, just a lot cheaper.

Google RP. You won't find much because in most street applications, it doesn't matter. You'd probably find more about their industrial lubricates, which are known for causing bearing failure because of the additives. A lot of the additives are in both their motor oils and industrial oils. RP looks great on paper and on a bench test, but not so much in practice.

I mean come on, for their industrial lubes, they claim to have an additive that "micro-polishes" bearings to REVERSE bearing failure. It doesn't take a mechanical engineer to determine that is impossible.

We used RP in our race engines for years until word started spreading what it can do. I've also heard it eats seals by numerous people, but I've never seen it first hand.

Last edited by Rebeltilldeath3; 03-29-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, back on topic how long are these filters supposed to be good for b\c $15 is a bit much for an oil filter?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

they guy from Trucks! was saying they are good for longer use applications. so im thinking you can run em with a typical 5k oil change.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Matt99
Champion

Well I haven't really heard all of that about RP, ive been using it for about a year with my truck, my engine has no tick, MPG increase, and every time I change it looks (and smells) cleaner...I love it, and I wouldn't be spending $70 on each change if I didn't notice a difference!

Those oil filters sound great, and I used to use the K&N filter...On paper they clean so much better but WIX filters are cheap and filter ALMOST as much as the K&N

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
fox_racer627
Rookie

We had a meeting the other day at my work promoting the new Penzoil Platnium oil. They said that Penzoil spent 300,000 on tests to create the new oil. It exceeds or at least meets all of Mobil 1's standards and supposedly cleans out 46% of engine sludge with one oil change. I asked them what they said about Royal Purple and they said that it was out of date and the Platnium would exceed its standards as well. They said this is because Royal Purple hasnt updated their oil since 2005, and because of this, it isnt meeting the requirements of newer engines. They said alot of stores arent even carring it anymore because of that. I didnt believe this at first, but then i went to Walmart to get some and the Royal Purple was in the clearance section. i never really like Penzoil but im going to try some out when we get our first shipment in.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I wouldn't use walmart as a gauge for where to find top of the line oils, and the 3rd gen engines are all pre 2005 designs except for the new 4.7. Royal purple is not stocked well or at all in many of the stores in my area, but I figure that is b/c of the price which most people don't want to pay. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna give RP a shot.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by fox_racer627
We had a meeting the other day at my work promoting the new Penzoil Platnium oil. They said that Penzoil spent 300,000 on tests to create the new oil. It exceeds or at least meets all of Mobil 1's standards and supposedly cleans out 46% of engine sludge with one oil change. I asked them what they said about Royal Purple and they said that it was out of date and the Platnium would exceed its standards as well. They said this is because Royal Purple hasnt updated their oil since 2005, and because of this, it isnt meeting the requirements of newer engines. They said alot of stores arent even carring it anymore because of that. I didnt believe this at first, but then i went to Walmart to get some and the Royal Purple was in the clearance section. i never really like Penzoil but im going to try some out when we get our first shipment in.
I've been using pennz plat since after break-in...great stuff. An oil guru on another forum sent in virgin samples to blackstone and another guy got a UOA from his grocery getter after 5k miles...both came back with outstanding results. Here's the UOA...his prior ones were mobil 1 and valvo synpower. He's doing castrol edge right now but still has some miles to go.

Name:  pennzuoa.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  91.7 KB

Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Alpheus
Banned

The Trucks episode said the RP filter has a reverse bi-pass valve in the filter to allow the oil back into the engine after shut off to reduce the wear on cold start-ups. He also said the RP has a bigger capacity that filters more material and lasts longer between oil changes, but then in the next sentence he said that if the maintenance plan is followed on your new vehichle and the oil is changed at factory recommended intervals that it wont void the waranty. Thats seems odd to me. It lasts longer but not according to vehichles with a warranty. Is this because the truck manufactures want you to change the oil more frequent to suck some more money or that they dont believe in RPs claim...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

RP's filter is over priced just like their sheering oil...least their marketing is top notch

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil filters