3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this oil stuff back and forth is rediculous. You can hear good and you can hear bad same goes with tuners,filters,tires and just about everything else. You gather your info and make your on mind up on what to believe and what product to use. Then you draw your on conclusions from your own experiance. Everybody has there own opinion and they are entitled to it. All you can do when you get on here is say "I like....." "I used..... and this is what happened." Opinions are like a$$ holes, Everybody has one! I personally have used RP in my truck from the rooty to the tooty and I love it! works well for me and has long has it does and untill I experience some of the bad things mentioned previously then I will continue to use it.

Last edited by BEAR; 03-30-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Well I'm mostly concerned with it b/c I want to run longer intervals between changes. I'm not gonna pay $15 for an oil filter though.

i have always used the Purolator PureOne.
Anyways, Chambers, Mobil 1 makes an Extended oil that supposedly lasts 15kmi. This does not mean that you can run both the oil and filter for 15kmi. Your suppose to change the filter as normal. So, buying a filter so you can go longer between intervals is not the way to go about things. You still would need to change the filter half way through and top off the oil that was taken away from the old filter. Now, if your talking from goin 3kmi changes to 6kmi changes then your fine. However, reg plain ole oil can go 5kmi no prob. The 3kmi push is long past unless your towing or driving the city. The oils are much better these days and even the lowest grade oil will still go 5kmi.
I run Synthetic because it's cleaning capabilities, longer service life and of course the added protection.

I noticed no diff with the Hemi tick going from Dino oil to Synthetic. I noticed more of a diff when i changed from 5w-20 Synthetic to 5w-30 Synthetic. The tick was def quieter especially when fully warm due to the extra viscosity.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoss356
I thought there was a difference with MDS 06-08's that made them need 5-20wt only?
Yea you're right about when they started with MDS, but I don't think that design called for anything special except for running 5w20 instead of 5w30.

I'm coming from running 3k intervals on dino oil w/ the cheapest napa filters on my old car. I plan on running 6k miles between changes with synthetic, RP for now and pureone filters.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Here's a new oil, I wonder if you can just dump it down the storm drains like the good ol'days?!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13640_3-9802755-43.html

Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

BEAR is right, this turned to a good conversation, but all you can do is put in your opinion, listen to others experiences and take from it what you can. I really want to try the new castrol edge but the price and lack of user info on it is holding me back from trying it.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
BEAR is right, this turned to a good conversation, but all you can do is put in your opinion, listen to others experiences and take from it what you can. I really want to try the new castrol edge but the price and lack of user info on it is holding me back from trying it.
I'll post up that UOA of edge as soon as I get it....some wal-marts have the 5 qt jug for $36.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I'll post up that UOA of edge as soon as I get it....some wal-marts have the 5 qt jug for $36.
yes please do!! $36 doesnt seem too bad. i cant remember what the wal marts here where getting it for. i would like to switch to synthetic since i plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and itd be nice to have it run alittle smoother and possibly gain some mpgs, not to mention better cleaning capabilities.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil filters