3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Royal Purple oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of filter is the "oil guru" using?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil/WIX/NAPA...if I remember right

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V_Scapes
The filter is larger then normal ones so its supposed to filter more oil and prevents dry starts. and the inside material is all synthetic.
Makes me want to switch over to RP even more.
I wouldn't want it because of that. The crankcase already holds 7qts with a normal size filter. i think that's large enough. Go putting in a larger than stock filter and now you have to buy more oil. 7qts is plenty. i understand the whole idea behind a larger filter, but i change my oil much sooner than it needs to for the most part. That's good enough for me.

You don't have to switch to RP to use their oil filter.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

I found this link pretty interesting http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
I'm giving pureone filters a shot on my next oil change and maybe wix after that.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

lol you guys are like ricers.

Unless you got a filter cutter, you won't notice the difference from brand to brand.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

Well I'm mostly concerned with it b/c I want to run longer intervals between changes. I'm not gonna pay $15 for an oil filter though.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

A filter will only last as long as the oil will.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by chambers
the 3rd gen engines are all pre 2005 designs except for the new 4.7.
I thought there was a difference with MDS 06-08's that made them need 5-20wt only?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
RP's filter is over priced just like their sheering oil...least their marketing is top notch
I agree, the Royal Purple marketing is top notch. A hefty percentage of you gas engine guys have fallen hard for RP. Is it because of the purple dye they add, or some other gimmick? RP is just a so-so synthetic made from Group III base stocks. If you're going to pay that much for oil, you might as well buy Amsoil or Red Line.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well RP's marketing is doing great in my vehicles! Former Mobil 1 user here for well over twenty years. RP has my Hemi tick about 75% quieter and I am showing a consistent 1.5 mpg gain in my truck. RP in my Jeep Grand Cherokee has been producing a solid 2.5-3 mpg increase since using it in my engine, transfer case and diffs.

Even though I've never "worked" in the industry, I've been around performance shops all my life. My uncle was a 38 year Mopar mechanic at the same dealership. He and my father were mechanics at the local speedway when I was a kid. So I kinda "hang" at these type of shops now, including a lot of time spent bugging the techs here in central Florida at a well known and respected performance shop specializing in Mopar engines. If there are *high end* performance gurus out there who specifically recommend AGAINST Royal Purple as 'Rebel suggests (and I'm not disputing him here), I've not met up with one yet.

These guys just about all use RP, but it's marketing has them using it, I understand. Can't be these guys know more than the "experts" who've posted in this thread.

And Joel, most techs are NOT recommending the use of Amsoil in MDS Hemi engines as the qualities that make it last so long are shown to actually "thicken" the oil. It's well documented now that prolonged use over 6k will have their 5w-20 product testing to a much thicker viscosity and these properties get more so over time. This has been proven in multiple tests, performed by multiple labs, including Blackstone.

As for the original purpose of this thread, I kinda agree with the 'dog on this one. Although I'm sure the RP filter is a quality product, I really don't feel the need to have to purchase more than 7 qts. to satisfy the larger filter. Most of your better filters today have a reverse by-pass feature, so that's really nothing new. I've had great luck with Wix and Purolator filters in the past and will probably stay with those...

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil filters