3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Davd901
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intakes

What do you think.. are they woth the money? Let's see what you have and was it worth it.

Dave

Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 PM
magnum v8
Professional
Default RE: Cold Air Intakes

I have the K&N 77 Series intake, with the polished tube. It is TOTALLY worth the money. When I decided to purchase the intake, my reason was purely for increased throttle response, added rumble from the motor, and under hood elegance. I got an extra 1 or 2 mpg with it, but that wasn't my main concern.

The only problem I have with this 77 Series is that it is not smog-legal in the states here. I took a chance that my truck will pass the emissions test here in Ohio with it. If it doesn't pass, I will just re-install the factory air box and then switch it back after the test.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Davd901

John, what do you have as far as exhaust? Have you upgraded?

Old 03-05-2005, 02:02 AM
sig
Professional

i bought mine from procarparts.com.
about 85.00 well worth it.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Hemi Dave
Professional

John,

In case you haven't heard the E-test goes away in many parts of Ohio, December 2005 .

Dave

Old 03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
magnum v8
Professional

John, what do you have as far as exhaust? Have you upgraded?
I haven't upgraded my exhaust yet. I ordered a JBA Cat-back system from AJ-USA and will be putting that on when it gets here. I decided on the JBA because of a few reasons. It is completely stainless steel, including the hangers. I thought it delivered the best sound, comparing it to sound clips from JBA's website and other manufacturer's websites. Lastly, I got it for a low, low price. I paid $348 for the system, but the very next day I found out it was an on-sale price and went back up to around $480. Another parts website did have it for $366, but I can't guarantee it's still at that price. If anyone wants to know what the site is, I can try and find it again.

Just for comparison's sake, Magnaflow and Borla offer a single exit, stainless steel cat-back system. Those are priced about the same as the JBA, +/- a couple dollars. Except if you can find one on sale like I did.

BTW, AJ-USA offered free shipping, so that helped a lot.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
magnum v8
Professional

i bought mine from procarparts.com.
about 85.00 well worth it.
Sig, the one you got from procarparts.com, did it have a heat shield around it? I paid $270 for my K&N and can't believe there was something out there for almost $200 less. I wonder how the 2 of them compare to each other.

Sorry, but I have to question whether an $85 part is as good as a $270 one. If it is, man, I got totally ripped off. Give me a little more detail on yours, please.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 11:19 AM
magnum v8
Professional

I have only heard that it is eliminated or will be eliminated in Cincinnati. I would appreciate more details if you have any.

John

Old 03-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

I did a study last year on my pt to see just how or if a cold air system really works. here's what I found out. .I took one of those indoor out door Thermometers and I moved it all over the engine compartment of my cruiser. .Now before I start ,the cruiser has a louvered hood so air was passing out through the top of the hood. The temps were really low concidering it was July.The temps around the engine never got above 130 degrees. or below 80. It was hotter just sitting out before the engine was turned on. Most of the time with the engine runnng It was around 100 degrees. and it got to 120 if placed only a couple of inches from the motor or if I got stuck in traffic..I have a chrome pipe and a fancy filter on it ,not cold air. The brand I have is airforce one.I tried both, couldn't see any difference. The chrome filer cost $159.00 and the cold air was $250.00. The chrome looks a lot better. and it has a deeper throaty sound when kicking it My Ram Hemi has a K/n and I see no differance.and I also have duals

Old 03-06-2005, 12:31 AM
rumblebee2005

tHE k&n FOR $85.00 DOSNT HAVE THE SHIELD, iT IS THE TUBE AND FILTER. cOMPLET KIT IS AROUND $250-$280

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes