3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AIT sensors w/ inline resistors for more MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpheus
First off this is not a Prius. If you want to play you are gonna pay. I have toyed with allot of mods with my truck just to see what happens with gas mileage. I have tried CAI,Super chips,Power wire but I think the one thing that made the biggest difference was installing the electric fan. There was an immediate increase in my gas mileage +2.5 MPG and this is doing the math not paying attention to the liitle monitor on the roof.
You got my interest on that one. I am aware of the consequenses of parasitic drag on an engine but is there that much you think. And I feel bad with as many times as I have been under my hood but are we running a shafted fan or already an electric one?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock cooling fan is run old-style off the engine. The clutch is known to stick on cold starts too, giving max cooling on a stone-cold engine.

The AC condenser fan is electric -- a nice touch. I need to look at converting my truck to an efan. I did my last truck and loved it.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
jseim44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpheus
First off this is not a Prius. If you want to play you are gonna pay. I have toyed with allot of mods with my truck just to see what happens with gas mileage. I have tried CAI,Super chips,Power wire but I think the one thing that made the biggest difference was installing the electric fan. There was an immediate increase in my gas mileage +2.5 MPG and this is doing the math not paying attention to the liitle monitor on the roof.
I realize this, I was just wondering what can be done to help out. I was also curious as to exactly what this Powerwire does to the computer.

-Jake

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From airram.com about the power wire:

"The =POWER=WIRE=> Is a PLUG & PLAY mod that will give you 8-10HP with less than 1 minute to install. Advancing the timing for increased HP is an old trick that has been used for many years. With the newer computer controlled vehicles there are no distributors to adjust, so to gain additional timing advance we need to alter the signal from the air temperature sensor for the desired advance. Your PCM uses the Air Temperature sensors to help control timing and Air/Fuel ratio. Your O2 sensors keep your Air Fuel ratio nailed to 14.75:1 at all throttle positions except Wide Open Throttle (WOT) so the POWER WIRE can NOT cause you to run rich during normal driving because no matter what the AFR will be 14.75:1. For this reason The Power Wire has been reported to add 1-2MPG increase when driven lightly. But at WOT the Power Wire will add approximately 2.5% at WOT. When your at WOT you are more concerned with HP than MPG at that moment in time and while passing an additional 8-10RWHP is exactly what your looking for
When installed the POWER WIRE alters the signal to your PCM making it think the intake air temperature is 20 degrees cooler than the actual temperature at "ALL TIMES". This timing advance is worth approximately 8-10RWHP"

Search here for a DIY on what you need to make one or on dodge talk.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
jseim44

Thank you to Chambers. I just didn't know where to look for that. I know how to make one, etc. I was just wondering exactly what it did because I had found some mixed results. I think I'm going to give that a try, as well as simple things like changing my spark plugs, etc.

-Jake

Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Dragonrep
Amateur

This is an old trick (relatively speaking) to fool the computer into thinking the air temp is cooler than it actually is. The computer will then richen the fuel. It doesn't help mileage at all, and can hurt it significantly. It can gain you a couple horsepower with the right set up though. I got almost a 10th of a second in the quarter out of my Durango RT several years back. The mileage was so rotten on it that I never measured it with the mod.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
From airram.com about the power wire:

"The =POWER=WIRE=> Is a PLUG & PLAY mod that will give you 8-10HP with less than 1 minute to install. Advancing the timing for increased HP is an old trick that has been used for many years. With the newer computer controlled vehicles there are no distributors to adjust, so to gain additional timing advance we need to alter the signal from the air temperature sensor for the desired advance. Your PCM uses the Air Temperature sensors to help control timing and Air/Fuel ratio. Your O2 sensors keep your Air Fuel ratio nailed to 14.75:1 at all throttle positions except Wide Open Throttle (WOT) so the POWER WIRE can NOT cause you to run rich during normal driving because no matter what the AFR will be 14.75:1. For this reason The Power Wire has been reported to add 1-2MPG increase when driven lightly. But at WOT the Power Wire will add approximately 2.5% at WOT. When your at WOT you are more concerned with HP than MPG at that moment in time and while passing an additional 8-10RWHP is exactly what your looking for
When installed the POWER WIRE alters the signal to your PCM making it think the intake air temperature is 20 degrees cooler than the actual temperature at "ALL TIMES". This timing advance is worth approximately 8-10RWHP"

Search here for a DIY on what you need to make one or on dodge talk.

This is where I have to argue with AIRRAM. I have a Diablo Predator. The 91octqane tune already advaces the timing as much as possible for the 91 octane gasoline. The Powerwire or the resistors people want to use will be absolutely pointless Except under marginal circumstances when used with a programmer if any at all. You think the guys that wrote the tunes didn't think about fooling the AIT sensor????
Now, the Hemi engine is reccomended by Chrsler to use 89oct over 87. Most guys disregard this and have tons of pinging going on underneath their hoods or just have no idea. The human ear can't hear every time pinging is happening. We can only feel the power loss to tell that knock has occured.
You can only advance the timing so much before you have issue's or require higher octane. Just keep that in mind.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So true!!!

Quick Reply: AIT sensors w/ inline resistors for more MPGs