3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How can you tell if you have a bad TP Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Jaytee67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if you have a bad TP Sensor?

Is there a way to verify if an existing Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is defective? Also, is there a way to check the MAP sensor as well?

Just like anyone else, I don't want to spend money on new parts when the existing ones might be just fine. I'm not getting any error codes, just trying to get rid of an occasional sputter when accelerating from a dead stop.

Here's what I've done so far: new plugs & wires, cleaned cap & rotor, removed & cleaned entire Throttle Body, fuel pressure steady at 49psi, installed new Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, verified proper vacuum w/ no leaks detected, verified no leak in the plenum, PCV good, & Oxy Sensors were just replaced. I've disconnected the battery for 20 minutes several times to reset the PCM.

Any advice, help would be appreciated. Thanks! .....Jeff...

(2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab 4x4, 5.9 liter, automatic, 82000 miles).

Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
JCW355
Amateur
Default Tps

Did you unplug it while it was running to see if anything happened? As weird as it sounds mine got stuck or something and it was idling at 2000 rpms at a dead stop. I undid my battery and it reset itself and has been fine now.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
JCW355
Amateur

Auto zone had a tps with a 2 year warranty for under $50. I know when they detailed my truck they got something wet under the hood and it ran really crappy for awhile but eventually got back to normal.

Quick Reply: How can you tell if you have a bad TP Sensor?