3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A knock noise on take off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:35 AM
JMB3384
|
Professional
Default A knock noise on take off?

I have a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 and I have noticed a noise, I am not sure what it is. It is 1 simple knock (or clunck sound) when I take off from a dead stop or when I take off from a very low speed (like 5-10mph). When sitting in the truck, to me it sounds like it may be coming from the front right side but I could be way off... you know how that goes!

Also once in a while when my truck is running, at idle, I hear a funny noise which is almost impossible to describe. I believe that is coming from my dash, also right side or center. I have been using my heat alot due to the cold weather we have here in MI and I think it may be coming from that. Its kind of a low pitch sound, maybe like plastic loose having a slight constant shift. For example, taking your hand an wiggling loose plastic at a steady pace. When shutting the truck down, it seems to idle down for a second or 2 and stops, like I'm powering it down also. It doesn't always happen but I do catch it once in a while. Thats the best I can describe it lol! Any thoughts on these 2 noises would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-03-2009 | 01:54 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Is there a basketball in the bed of your truck? lol

Old 04-03-2009 | 02:23 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

The plastic rubbing sound I have no idea, but as for the clunk it sounds like somethings going, have you jacked up the front and and checked ball joints and such?? The only other thing I can maybe think of is those "c-clips" every talks about.. That sound that comes from the front right can be coming from anywhere when your actually in the truck right, Id just lay under the truck and shake everything down, check your u-joints, backlash in your rearend (although i dont think that would go out of whack on an 06).. Just shake everything that moves!!

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:53 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeThunder
.. Just shake everything that moves!!
but dont shake a baby thats not good at all!

Old 04-03-2009 | 04:57 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

Shaking babies is Fun!!

Well not really

Only on Wednesdays...

Old 04-03-2009 | 05:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

1. Check your U-joints
My Silverado had a bump/squeek type sound. real weird but it was the bushings in the rear making the noise. I did nothing, just ignored it. It was a 2000 and di it from day one.

2. And it sounds like maybe your blower motor is touching something??

Old 04-03-2009 | 05:49 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

My jeep used to do that after I lifted it. It ended being my trackbar. Everytime it would start to dry up, it would start clicking on take offs. Than again, I dont think you have a trackbar, so my info is irrelevant

Old 04-03-2009 | 06:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

check your u-joints, I just had both on the rear driveline replaced under warranty

They started out same as what you describe at first and ended up in a vibration you feel in the body of the truck.

Just a possibility. Found some greasable ones made by federal-mogul--I'll be replacing the fronts shortly with those

Old 04-03-2009 | 06:42 PM
PETE_YK
Professional

Could be excessive back lash in the ring/pinion gear. Exibits itself more in manual trans vehicles though when you let the clutch out. Unlikely on a truck that new though...

Old 04-03-2009 | 09:07 PM
kah1010

How about your engine mounts?

I only know this from my SUV experience, so I could be way off

K

Quick Reply: A knock noise on take off?