3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 06:03 PM
kx250frider617
|
Record Breaker
Default Back seat mod

I heard there is mod you can do to make the back seats fold foward revealing the back wall. Can someone make a link to a write-up about this or if some one made a DIY.

Old 04-03-2009 | 07:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

The only way is to remove the factory hooks and make your own type but honestly, I'm pretty crafty and there's no other way than to kinda cob-job it. The hook design Chrysler came up with allows the seat to move up and down within the hooks while still staying attached. If you remove them the seat would just fall forward with nothing to hold it back. I'm sure you could just run a bungee chord if your a redneck that cares less about that sorta thing....lmao
Anything that would keep the seat from moving in the up/down motion when the bottom part is being lifted will cause the seat to not fold upwards. You can do one or the other.
Here's a quick sketch of the hook design if you haven't been behind there yet. The hooks are about 2" wide and like 3" long that slide into the "c" hooks on the back wall. there are 2 as pictured.

Old 04-06-2009 | 01:37 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

I think they took the loop part that is on the back wall, that the hook goes into and flip them upside down. Then the hook still catches, but when you lift up the seat halfway, the back raises just enough for the hook to disengage from the loop on the wall and fall forward.

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:16 PM
forumpete
Rookie

Hey just thought I'd let you guys know I just went outside and did this. Getting the back off is kind of a pain but its really not too bad. Flipping the catches upside down does work. The seat back still works fine.

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:29 PM
oefootball_70
Champion

Originally Posted by forumpete
Hey just thought I'd let you guys know I just went outside and did this. Getting the back off is kind of a pain but its really not too bad. Flipping the catches upside down does work. The seat back still works fine.
write it up!!!!! I wanna put my amp back there.

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:43 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea I would like to see that, I am putting mine in this week!

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:49 PM
forumpete
Rookie

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
write it up!!!!! I wanna put my amp back there.

Sorry I didn't take any pics while I was doing it. The only tools you need are a decent pair of channel locks a utility knife, and an 8mm socket. The channel locks are for the torx screws that mount the seat back to the hinge. I KNOW the channel locks aren't the correct tool for the job but clearance issues made them the easiest tool. It ends up its a pretty self explanatory job.
1) Remove torx screw holding seat back on either side of seat. (total of 4 on split bench)
2) Pull up on seat back to disengage from hook and pull seat back out.
3) Using 8mm socket, remove catches on the back of the cab.
4) With utility knife, cut sound deadener to make room for upside down catches.
5) Reinstall seat backs. (lining up these mounts can be a bit of a PITA but its not too bad.

Best of luck!

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:52 PM
Matt99
Champion

so doing all of this makes the back seat fold forward?

Old 04-10-2009 | 11:54 PM
forumpete
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt99
so doing all of this makes the back seat fold forward?

Yes, I'm working on uploading a few pics right now...just a sec.

Old 04-11-2009 | 12:00 AM
forumpete
Rookie

Here's a couple pics I just snapped sorry they're no good, took em with my phone.

Seat operating normally:

Seat folded down:

Cut out for catch rotation:

Wish I could help more..

Quick Reply: Back seat mod