3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1/2ton with a sled deck

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
jackedupram02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2ton with a sled deck

just wondering what you guys thing of the sled decks, and if a 1500 would be able to carry 2 sleds or quads. Do you think id have any problems. I know i would probably need to install airbags but thats the only thing i think i would need to do any input would be nice.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Pushing the limit, IMO. I've not seen a gas 2500 with one, let alone a 1500. But as far as weight goes, with the Air Bags, I think you'll be ok...

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jackedupram02
just wondering what you guys thing of the sled decks, and if a 1500 would be able to carry 2 sleds or quads. Do you think id have any problems. I know i would probably need to install airbags but thats the only thing i think i would need to do any input would be nice.
I actually never heard of them but just googled them. Wierd? If your going snowmobiling, you wouldn't be towing anything else, so why not get a snowmobile trailer for the price you'd pay for one of those things????? Why wouldn't anyone Not buy a trailer?
2 sleds or 2 quads will be 1100+LBS. The aluminum rack I seen here(http://www.customweldmarina.com/sleddecks.html) Is 410lbs. 1100+410=Too much weight for the 1500 series truck. It's past it's payload at that point regardless of airba use. Airbags don't help the DOT tickets, brakes or front suspension at all. That much weight off to the sides can be dangerous for a suspension that's not stiff enough. The Ram's front suspension would be all over the place with that thing on the back.

One last thing. You cannot have a bed sticking out that far off of a truck without clearance lights on all 4 corners. I didnt see that they actually had them already. You'd get pulled over without them and someone could get really hurt as well and even if they are dumb, you would be responsible. So figure the lights in that mess of trouble.

I'd say be like everyone else and buy a trailer. I can understand the guy who is towing a travel trailer and wants the underbed storage for things, but for a normal guy not towing anything else or for someone who want 2 machines, most of those people buy an actual trailer. Those full enclosed snowmobile trailers run like $2100. Can't go wrong. You can fit quads in there too.

edit: those decks do have clearance lights. I just looked at one of the other pics. It was just so hard to see them from the angle of the other pics. Hey, atleast I was right about the need for the lights....lol

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
jackedupram02
Professional

I was looking into a trailer but dont want the hassel of parking, backing up at night, trying to turn around, plus a place to store the trailer when i'm not using it. The sled deck just makes it so much easier for all of that. plus i can store all my equipment in the box underneath the deck, so i dont take up any room in my truck

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking into a trailer but dont want the hassel of parking, backing up at night, trying to turn around, plus a place to store the trailer when i'm not using it. The sled deck just makes it so much easier for all of that. plus i can store all my equipment in the box underneath the deck, so i dont take up any room in my truck
It really isn't an option for the 1500. It's to much weight. Also, you'd need tow mirrors for the sled deck and i think it's more of a hassle to keep the deck on the truck than to store a trailer. You'll have this platform that sticks out over a foot on each side of your bed. You'll open up the doors and be running into the damn thing all the time. Then the hassle of removing or installing that thing. Also, if you took it off, you would have to store that as well.

I take one look at that whole concept of an idea and think it's a good idea, but totally unpractical for everyday uses.

I don't find any hassle is parking or backing up. Sounds like in-experience to me, then again I have driven for a living before and pulled various types of trailers.
Something to think about. It's very hard to pull a sled off of even an enclosed trailer on the ground. I think you'll find it more of a PIA loading/unloading than to drive around with a trailer. If you don't have reverse like most, you'll have a real hard time pulling the sleds off not to mention the sleds would need to be picked up when you got to the bottom or else the mudflap in the back will get sucked into the track because of the steep angle. Not a pretty sight if you have studs. Also, try fueling the sleds at a gas station when the sleds are on top of the truck. Sounds like a total PIA to climb up the truck if you can to put gas in the sleds.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-06-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
jackedupram02
Professional

I know how to back up just fine, just talking about when im down a back road only truck width wide, its alot easier finding a turn around area for just a truck rather then a truck and a trailer. When I go sledding i just throw it in the box of my truck and go, ive seen people pull trailers in some roads and watch them have a hell of a time getting out.
Storing a little deck is a lot easier then trying to store a fully enclosed trailer, just look at the size difference. Also I would need towing mirrors if i was carrying 2 sleds on there, but with 1 sled the sides retract and tuck in. The only real hassel I see would be filling the sleds up while up there, I guess you'd just have to fill them up before you load them.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Whenever I've seen one in use (and I've only seen two myself, personally, but have a ATV forum buddy with one as well) they have ALWAYS been on a diesel truck. Every one of these guys use it in conjunction with a trailer. Whether it be a camper type or a trailer for ATV's. It allows these guys to move upwards of 5 ATVs for big outings.
Like I stated, I've never even seen on a 3/4 ton gasser, let alone a 1500 series truck.
I think the truck would handle it, the bags a must. But like 'dog said, you may put yourself at ticket risk...

Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Hoss356
Captain

I agree with dog on this, but I have seen a few 3/4ton CTD's with two on them.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up here in the lower mainland just driving around you will see a couple of those decks a day and I have never seen one on a gas truck, probably not a good idea, I was thinking about getting one for my 1500 and was convinced not to at the shop due to the truck being a half ton... Just save yourself the hassle and get a trailer, worst case scenario if you cant turn a trailer around then back it out right

Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

I was looking into a trailer but dont want the hassel of parking, backing up at night, trying to turn around, plus a place to store the trailer when i'm not using it.
You still have to store the ATVs. Couldn't you store the ATVs on the trailer and park the trailer where the ATVs would be?

As far as maneuvering the trailer, your total weight is relatively low. If you get a wheel for the tongue jack, you should be able to manhandle it around.

Quick Reply: 1/2ton with a sled deck