3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

utility trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
gidy34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default utility trailer question

If this is posted in the wrong forum, I appoligize. Just trying to figure this out.

I have a utility trailer I have used for a bout 3 years. Works great... well it did, I recently broke a leaf spring. It is a homemade trailer and I cannot replace the spring.... so I ordered a Torflex axle at Red Neck Trailer supply. I got a 2200 pound axle with a 3 inch drop and a 45 degree down arm. Paid about $240 for it. Had to get the drop so it would sit level behind the RAM.

So here is the question. I got 5 on 4 1/2 hubs with extended hubs so I could put a 15 inch wheel on it. Does anyone know if I could use Jeep steel wheels and mount trailer tires with a C load rating on them and be OK?? The guy at the trailer supply store said that I shouldn't run passenger rims on a trailer. I have to think with a 2200 pound axle a jeep steel rim should be strong enough.

I am not trying to be a cheap a$$ but, he quoted me 110 for one rim with a bais ply tire on it or $150 for a radial on it. I have found radial tires for about $80. That would be a huge savings for me.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Jeep wheel should be ok. Did you say your going to run a 15" wheel?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
gidy34
Rookie

yeah i am going to run a 15. After taking all of the measurements and such... I need to run a bigger wheel so it will be level.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 6' x 12' utility trailer has 15" wheels. A local tire store quoted me something like $240 for three tires and a spare wheel!

I bought three used tires and a spare wheel recently for a bit over a c-note. Why not passenger car tires, I wonder. They should do fine. What's the max cap of the trailer, a ton or so?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by gidy34
yeah i am going to run a 15. After taking all of the measurements and such... I need to run a bigger wheel so it will be level.

or you could just get the right ballmount with the proper drop. $150 for tire and rim doesn't sound that bad to me.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by a4twenty
or you could just get the right ballmount with the proper drop. $150 for tire and rim doesn't sound that bad to me.
+1

Much simpler and cheaper. A ball mount with a different drop would probably be about $20-$25. If you change vehicles later, add a lift, etc. the level will be off again, and another ball mount will still be cheaper.

You can also get an adjustable ball mount.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

if you have leaf springs under the trailer just put blocks under it to bring it up

Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
gidy34
Rookie

Thanks for the responses, but back the original question. With 2200 lb trailer, will a jeep steel wheel be strong enough?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Why not passenger car tires, I wonder. They should do fine.
you have to use trailer tires because they have reinforced stiffer sidewalls to prevent sway and support the load.

Originally Posted by gidy34
Thanks for the responses, but back the original question. With 2200 lb trailer, will a jeep steel wheel be strong enough?
trailer rims have to be corrosion free ( galvanized / aluminum ) you may also have problems with clearance for the brakes / sidewalls. will they be strong enough, hard to say without some specs for the rims. will they be legal and safe, no.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by a4twenty
you have to use trailer tires because they have reinforced stiffer sidewalls to prevent sway and support the load.

trailer rims have to be corrosion free ( galvanized / aluminum ) you may also have problems with clearance for the brakes / sidewalls. will they be strong enough, hard to say without some specs for the rims. will they be legal and safe, no.
I'm still amazed to see people use the stock truck rims when they backhalf a wrecked pickup for the cargo bed...

Quick Reply: utility trailer question