3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do I need a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
When I had a Ford Powerstroke this was a real big issue. Ford did everything they could to get out of paying for warranty work. Anyways, they can tell. The tuner leaves some kind of scarring on the rings or pistons thats exclusive to tuner use. I don't remember exactly what part of the motor gets scared but they can tell.

If you've got a warranty claim that the dealer or Dodge in general is seeing repeatedly and is usually on trucks that have been tuned, the techs will look for evidence of a tuner.

As far as Ford goes, I know from experience, looking for evidence of a tuner or ANY aftermarket mod was step 1 in the repair process. I don't know if Dodge or Chevy has had the problems with their diesels that Ford had with the 6.0 so they may not be as quick to look for aftermarket mods.

That said gas or diesel they know people like to put tuners in so it wouldn't surprise me if they look for them.

Silliest thing i have ever heard. i agree with Hammer.
All tuners today do not leave any "water marks" which is a history that shows a tuner has been used in the programming department. it's impossible for any mechanic to look at an engine and say, Yup, this had a tuner on it. IMPOSSIBLE.
If you use a tuner and return the truck back to stick when you bring it in for service, the only thing that the dealership cansee is that your codes aren't reset. I mean that when you have an engine code and erase it, you need to drive up to 100 miles before the ecu resets itself. The same thing happens when you reload the factory tune or for that matter any tune into the ecu. The mechanic working on your vehicle would see that you had recently cleared the ecu. it does not prove that you had any type of tuner. When the stock tune is re-written back, the original date is kept....FYI

the dealer tries to lead people onto they know so you'll tell them. They are bluffing and have no idea. Trust me. I was a Certified GM mechanic for 4 years.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Akatoad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to work at the dodge dealer and they can not tell if you had a tuner as long as you take it off before you go in. not on the gas trucks, on the cummins we could tell because it messes with memory settings when you put it back to stock. on the gas engines though it doesn't leave a trace when you put it back to stock.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Seeing "issues" that are indicative of a tuner is not sufficient to void a warranty. Seeing scarring of the rings and pistons is a sign of running with advanced timing, but would not PROVE a tuner.
The PROOF that a tuner was used, is that the PCM is time/date stamped with the last tune. If a "tune" is written the day before you bring it back to the dealer for warranty work, it's apparent that you have a tuner.
The specific problem with YOUR Ford 6.0, is that as a cost savings move, Ford went to half the number of head bolts. As combustion temperature and pressure increases due to ANY power enhancing modifications to boost and fuel delivery rates, gases force their way past the fire ring because of the lack of the clamping power from fewer bolts.
It's been proven time and again, that your previous 6.0 Ford Powerstroke cannot handle substantial power mods without significantly upgrading the durability of the engine...
I'll agree with most of that. I didn't know about the pcm.

Ford did cut corners on the 6.0 but mods weren't my issue. I never put any tuner or any mod on it at all. The 6.0 was just junk.

Maybe with head studs instead of tty bolts and no emissions stuff it would have been ok.

I'm just trying to help out with some stuff that I've heard. Personally, I wouldn't risk putting a tuner on anything but thats just me. Basic stuff like headers, exhaust and air intakes is as far as I'd go with the engine. Its his truck he can tune the hell out of it. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by TheFist; 04-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are definitely missing out, bro.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
metalwolf69
Rookie

So for acceleration and low end i would open up the gears right?

Quick Reply: Do I need a tuner?