3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 Ram Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 08 Ram Alarm

My Truck got broken into last night and as a result i would like to install a alarm into the truck.
From what it seems my truck has Keyless entry system with remote start but no alarm. Ideally, i would like a factory alarm system that would integrate itself with my stock key less/remote start.
I called the dealer and they said for 08 Rams, the alarm isn't sold as a accessory and it isn't listed. That doesn't make much sense to me as i know it was a a factory option. If anyone has some input or opinion that would be great.

Thanks
Pete

Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
sos
All Star

Even aftermarket alarms should be able to use the factory remote. Check out local car alarm/stereo places.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

aftermarket is the way to go and it should be a whole lot cheaper. i think that if you check around, you can find out it will integrate with the factory one.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 PM
jmr
Rookie

I have an 08 RAM too and the dealer said if it didn't come with it from the factory then there is no way to add it on as an accessory. Apparantly this is a 08 only problem so how stupid is that?

Apparantly allot of the alarm feature is built into the instrument panel (this is where the truck configuration settings reside) and the starscan tool can enable the alarm. I would love to try that out and see if it's possible to do it.

I have remote locks and my wife by accident did some combination of events and the truck horn sounded off like the alarm did but the truck doesn't have that as a option. I thought she hit the panic button but pressing it again would not shut it off, I started the truck and that did turned it off.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM
raminator08
Record Breaker

just wondering, what did they take from your truck? it sucks to have your truck vandalized, i know

Old 04-11-2009, 12:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my Cliffprd 50.7x BNIB off ebay for about 250 shipped. Its got the shock sensor and I added a glass break and another shock for about 10 each. It has remote start, 2 way paging and starter disable. I installed it all myself on a weekend and had no real issues. I did use about 5 SPDT relays though. Anything OEM is never going to be as good as something that is aftermarket.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Well it seems they broke into the truck only to take my mobile gps unit and blackberry charger.

I called a few more dealers to confirm and it does indeed seem that 08 was a year that the alarm wasn't offered as a part install acc, not sure why.

I looked at a few security system pages and a few them offer OEM CanBus systems. I am hoping with these i can retain my stock keyless system.

Take a look.
http://www.viper.com/P-3901V/Viper+3...Upgrade+System

Ideas ?

Pete

Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Code Alarm SRT-9000 from this place http://www.autoalarmpro.com/company_sales_policy They prep all the wires with the proper crimps and pre-programs the module. You will need to purchase a Bypass module and they have the one's that don't require the loss of any key. They give very detailed instructions based on the specific vehicle. Ohh, the intructions are color too, they are spaced far apart and not teeny tiny writing so they are easy to read. It took 3hours to install the alarm from beginning to finish.
I am able to use the factory remote to lock/unlock and arm the alarm. I use my two-way pager so I just picked up a Sentry key off Ebay for $20 without the huge end on it.

They do have add-on sensor alarms to factory alarms. If that's all your interested in.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jeepsrock
Well it seems they broke into the truck only to take my mobile gps unit and blackberry charger.

I called a few more dealers to confirm and it does indeed seem that 08 was a year that the alarm wasn't offered as a part install acc, not sure why.

I looked at a few security system pages and a few them offer OEM CanBus systems. I am hoping with these i can retain my stock keyless system.

Take a look.
http://www.viper.com/P-3901V/Viper+3...Upgrade+System

Ideas ?

Pete
oh yeah, most of the breakins i hear involve those portable GPS units. just gotta remember to take them out when you leave the truck

Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM
AK Rover
Rookie

I'm using the Code Alarm SRT-9000 also on my 2007 and love. The installers fried my instrument panel during the install which caused the one trip to the dealer since I have owned the truck. I strictly use my LED two-way remote since it has the better range and confirms what the alarm is doing. I haven't tried arming with the factory keys/remote. Also like dirtydog I bought non-remote keys off ebay so I don't have to deal with the huge factory remote and the aftermarket remote.

Quick Reply: 08 Ram Alarm