3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant seem to find many winch options???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Jason D
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant seem to find many winch options???

I want to put a winch on my 08 1500 quad cab sport but I am not comming up with to many options. I am not opposed to either a grill guard/winch mount or maby just a hidden winch mount.

There have to be some people here that can help me out, maby een a few pictures of what you have on your rig?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Jason D
Veteran

So no one on here has a winch on a 3rd gen 1500. AMAZING!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Hammer does, I do. If im not mistaken, I think there a similar thread floating around within the past couple of days. I could be wrong.

I found, if your going to go hidden mount, make it yourself. Pretty expensive to buy a hidden mount, and you can make it a lot better and sturdy.

Hammer has a bumper on his that looks pretty dang tough. hahaha, I know hammer, it time that I do my DIY on the winch mount.... I will have it posted in a couple of days...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:03 PM
formguy
Rookie

I plow with my truck so I bought a reciever mounted winch. I bought a front reciever kit, but I had to modify it to work with the plow frame in place. The good part of the reciever systm is that you can put it in the rear and pull yourself backwards as well, super handy for plowing! I did, however, buy too small of a winch. Mine is an 8000lb warn and it will stall pulling the truck out if it is really mired in. This means I wind up using a ****** block in most cases. I think a 12K lb winch would be much more handy.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ive got a Warn SS Trans4mer grill and winch carrier but no winch yet........ :-(

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by formguy
I plow with my truck so I bought a reciever mounted winch. I bought a front reciever kit, but I had to modify it to work with the plow frame in place. The good part of the reciever systm is that you can put it in the rear and pull yourself backwards as well, super handy for plowing! I did, however, buy too small of a winch. Mine is an 8000lb warn and it will stall pulling the truck out if it is really mired in. This means I wind up using a ****** block in most cases. I think a 12K lb winch would be much more handy.
Yeah, I've got the old M9000, which has been discontinued for about 3 years now, same design, same motor as your M8000, just geared slightly lower, I believe. Same problem when it's really pulling, it's ****** block(s) to the rescue.
I'm thinking about a front receiver and mount for the Grand Cherokee and putting my current winch there. Been REALLY looking at the Smittybuilt ones. I know Warn is the name, but hell, I can get the 12k# one for like $599 or the 10k# one with the compressor for $749, which is about half as much as the Warn with the built-in compressor...

BTW to the OP: Trans4mer grille guard system, home built hidden mount (not hard at all to do), or the front receiver with that mount are probably your three options here...

Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

so I gotta question......what is '****** blocks' you guys keep saying? And I know Warn is all name but damn if they don't look good too. I've looked at others but even if I could get one, I've still got too many other things going on right now for me. Plus this far south we don't get ice or snow and I don't go mudding so I really don't NEED one. I just want one.......LOL

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I try not to put myself in a position to where I need one either, but the one time I go snowmobiling, and I NEED my winch, it will be worth it.

A ****** block is basically a pulley. I pulled one from drilling rig a while back. Mine is about 30 lbsm lol, but is a beast. This is how it works. You take your tree saver strap, and wrap it around the tree. Take you ****** block, and attach it to your tree saver. Then take your winch line, run it from the fairlead, through the ****** block, and back to your truck hooked to a tow hook. This gives your winch double line pull capabilities. A 12,000 lb winch will quickly turn into a 24,000 lb winch, in a matter of seconds.

This is what mine looks like...

http://roughnecksafety.com/Forms_Stu...huckSheave.pdf

this is what a normal one looks like...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029XG14

Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
so I gotta question......what is '****** blocks' you guys keep saying? And I know Warn is all name but damn if they don't look good too. I've looked at others but even if I could get one, I've still got too many other things going on right now for me. Plus this far south we don't get ice or snow and I don't go mudding so I really don't NEED one. I just want one.......LOL

A ****** block increases the versatility of a vehicle mounted or portable winch. It enables you to retrieve loads that are double a winch’s capacity by reducing the load on the winch by half, and facilitates winching from varying angles when straight ahead isn’t the best option.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Jason D
Veteran

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
Hammer does, I do. If im not mistaken, I think there a similar thread floating around within the past couple of days. I could be wrong.

I found, if your going to go hidden mount, make it yourself. Pretty expensive to buy a hidden mount, and you can make it a lot better and sturdy.

Hammer has a bumper on his that looks pretty dang tough. hahaha, I know hammer, it time that I do my DIY on the winch mount.... I will have it posted in a couple of days...

Is there any way that i could get you to snap a couple pictures of how your winch and fairlead are mounted for me just to get an idea. Isaw a picture of your truck from the front and that is actualy where I would like to head is towards a hidden winch.

Quick Reply: Cant seem to find many winch options???