3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Proper procedure to fill cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 10:22 AM
Another ram 5.7 guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You can't close the radiator cap until the engine is fully warm and circulating. The circulating moves the air bubble out of the cap. With your truck cold, remove the radiator cap until it gets fully warm (20-30 minutes at idle). Top off as level drops. Once warm, shut your engine down and let fully cool. If your coolant tank is near empty, then put the cap back on the radiator before the engine cools because it will push fluid out of the radiator and into the expansion tank. I would leave the cap off the expansion tank the entire time. it's really simple.
Just make sure you have coolant in the upper radiator hose. if not, you'll have to unhook it and pour coolant into the hose while it's removed and then re-attach.

So I have a few questions for my 2010 ram.. yesterday I drained the coolant and refilled it and now my rad fan isn't kicking in could that be becus it might have air pockets somewhere?

Old 08-06-2024, 11:21 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Another ram 5.7 guy
So I have a few questions for my 2010 ram.. yesterday I drained the coolant and refilled it and now my rad fan isn't kicking in could that be becus it might have air pockets somewhere?
Did you open up the bleeder valve? If it has coolant bubbling when it's opened, then that means air is still inside the system.

Old 08-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Another ram 5.7 guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Did you open up the bleeder valve? If it has coolant bubbling when it's opened, then that means air is still inside the system.

Yea I got it figured out already with no youtube lol but thx for the quick reply tho 🤙🏼

Quick Reply: Proper procedure to fill cooling system?