3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Preferances

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Preferances

I will admit, exhaust has always been my favorite thing to add to a vehicle, and I can't wait to add one to this truck. With my last Ram, I ran a flowmaster super 44, flowmaster 40, and a 5x8x18 magnaflow. All of them were much too loud for the interior, but I think it was just the nature of that truck. It had the longtube headers with the 3" y-pipe and 3" magnaflow cat, so it was just always so loud. For this truck, I just plan to do a catback so I don't get into any kind of debacles with voiding my warranty, I don't want to deal with it. I plan to do a 3"/2.5" dual out muffler, with a dual rear split exit using 4"x18" exhaust tips. I'm just not sure which muffler I want. I really enjoy how smooth this truck drives, and I don't want to compromise its integrity by suffocating the interior with exhaust. I called flowmaster, and he said the flowmaster 50 HD was their preference for that motor, does anybody run that muffler? Is it quite on the highway? Also wanted to know if anybody runs the flowmaster 40 series delta flow; does that stay quite on the highway as well? Any other suggestions will be heard.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

TRUE DUALS, catback duals are pretty weak as far as performance goes. Go to exhaustdepot.com they have a bolt on "True Dual" exhaust system for the hemi rams. Thinking about getting one, but uncle sam is taking 5,600$ of my hard earned money soon, so the exhaust will have to wait

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the 50 HD on my ram when I first got it. The muffler was way too quiet for me, you could barely hear it at idle and it didn't get much louder when I drove. I think I have a vid clip of it somewhere on my computer if you are interested in hearing it. Knowing what I know now after having that muffler, the super 40 and heard many others in person, I will stick with the e-cutout. It is the best sounding setup I have heard to date. A close second is the AT 3030.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the FAQ section. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-faqs-133/

Magnaflow is the best performance choice.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Which ever you choose just leave the stock resonator/s on...it'll greatly reduce the interior noise/drone. If it's too quiet for you you can always just remove it. A full catback will remove the rear one....so you might want to think about just replaceing the muffler with a SI/SO.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Ford Convert

The 50 HD is nice, but check out the Flowmaster 50 SUV, i prefer it's sound over the HD, also check out this magnaflow system:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

thats what i'm putting on my 5.7

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

^^^What length is that muffler...kinda looks like a 18" but it's hard to tell.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Which ever you choose just leave the stock resonator/s on...it'll greatly reduce the interior noise/drone. If it's too quiet for you you can always just remove it. A full catback will remove the rear one....so you might want to think about just replaceing the muffler with a SI/SO.

I have a Magnaflow catback on my truck. It's the dual exit side which you think would be pretty loud inside, but nope. I have old guys asking me all the time if the exhaust is stock. So, it's more on the quieter side with a nice low rumble. Every old person that has asked me says it sounds real good. My father who's not an exhuast fan says that as well. he also commented how nice it sounded on the inside and he was surprised it was that quiet with the exit in front of the back tire.
I have an '08 and had only 1 resonator behins the muffler. It's gone. Looks like you have a 5.9L right? Diff tone altogether.
ANY Flowmaster will give a droning or uncomfortable sound inside the cab. it's just the design of the muffler that makes it that way. if that's what your worried about, I'd try a diff route this time.

Here's a sound clip http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=DSCI0526.flv

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-14-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

magnaflow all the way!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Ooooooooo remote start...I need to get me that

Quick Reply: Exhaust Preferances