3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need you input.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mfs212
GUYS! C'Mon! Before you get rid of the tires, and spend hundreds to get new tires and have them mounted, try soundproofing the truck. $140 can put 100sqft of FatMat (a generic dynamat) in your truck, and REALLY cut down on external noises inside. Lay it EVERYWHERE, and 2-3 layers in the doors. Under the carpet, back wall, anywhere you can get it. I promise, it will be worth your while.

In addition to the reduced road/engine noise (this includes a lot of the exhaust drone that many complain of) it will also make whatever sound system you have in the truck sound better.
Dampner products stop vibrations. The product is not intended nor can it reduce or stop airborne noises. If you go to Second skin, they have a forums and it will be explained more in depth there. i used to do a lot of sound systems. You would want Luxury Liner to reduce noises

Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kicker417
just wonderin have you look at the Iroks from super swampers
yeah i like them also, but they are also up there in price and they look like they would be extremely loud also.

Originally Posted by kicker417
ntwonline.com
their prices are alright... not the cheapest but not the highest.

thanks guys for your help... i guess unless i can't find a set of toyos for between 1000-1200 by tonight or tomorrow im gonna have to go with either bfg's or pro-comps.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Dampner products stop vibrations. The product is not intended nor can it reduce or stop airborne noises. If you go to Second skin, they have a forums and it will be explained more in depth there. i used to do a lot of sound systems. You would want Luxury Liner to reduce noises
OK...Well Dirty, i understand this, actually I said it in my second post. I, too, have significant experience with sound and acoustics. Mine is on a larger scale than car audio, as a professional audio engineer here in Memphis, running live sound and installing sound systems in some of the largest churches and acoustically treating theaters,studios, etc, and I have installed more than 100 car audio systems, as well.

As i said, and I quote "generated, mostly, by the vibrations created by the tread of the tire resonating in the sheet metal of the truck, which amplifies it (same with exhaust "drone")." The dampener...well...dampens these vibrations, preventing them from resonating in the truck, making it less noticable. The doors of the truck amplify these vibrations especially.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo guys, this thread is about tire options, not dynomat or any other sound dampening mat... i dont care about that. i want advice on tires... THATS IT!!!

with that said i got a quote from a local toyo dealer today 1450 open country m/t's installed.. seems decent, but do i order pro comps for 1135 installed or the bfg's for 1200 installed and use the money saved to get new shocks and a bull bar? that option seems to be a little nicer. more toys for my truck for the same price... tell me what you think.

Last edited by jk360; 04-17-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Need you input.....