3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gearing up

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 AM
bloodySUNDAY134
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing up

ok, i've read some threads about the gearing in the 1500 rams. i have an '08 1500 with 3.92 gears, however i would like to get 4.56. what do i have to do to acheive this? do i need new gears all together or can i do it through my programmer. how much would it cost if i can't do it through the programmer?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
HemiNerd
Default Do Some Actual Reading

I don't believe you did any reading first off. But to not be an arrogant ***, I will reply simple:

Gearing is a physical thing. A programmer cannot change the physical characteristics of a gear ratio. You must purchase new gears and have them installed. If you have a 2WD, you just replace the front gears and get a new master install kit which includes bearings and goodies. The front on a Dodge is the 8.0". If you have a 4WD, you must replace front and rear gears and it is best to do the master install kits for front and rear. Someone posted a link to Moes Performance for the 4.56 Gear Bundle which has front/rear gears and both install kits. I think it was $1k. It would be wise to install a new Limited Slip Differential while you are in there. So add on another $400-500. The install would be quite pricey at any shop, people have reported about 450-650 in install cost.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Bigc9164
Veteran

thats alot of cash

Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HemiNerd
I don't believe you did any reading first off. But to not be an arrogant ***, I will reply simple:

Gearing is a physical thing. A programmer cannot change the physical characteristics of a gear ratio. You must purchase new gears and have them installed. If you have a 2WD, you just replace the front gears and get a new master install kit which includes bearings and goodies. The front on a Dodge is the 8.0". If you have a 4WD, you must replace front and rear gears and it is best to do the master install kits for front and rear. Someone posted a link to Moes Performance for the 4.56 Gear Bundle which has front/rear gears and both install kits. I think it was $1k. It would be wise to install a new Limited Slip Differential while you are in there. So add on another $400-500. The install would be quite pricey at any shop, people have reported about 450-650 in install cost.
2 wd requires changing the REAR gears. its been covered quite a bit on here, your lookin at about $7-800 per axle for parts and labor. you want a reputable shop with differential experience to do the install.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
HemiNerd

Whoops. Sorry for the misinformation on the 2WD, thanks for keeping my 7 AM sanity in check Redone4x4 |:^)

Last bit of info: The rear is the 9.25" differential. Remember, 8.0" front, 9.25" rear.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Correct, 2WD are rear only.

Going rate is about $600 an axle for everything. Ring, Pinion, Master Install Kit and Labor.

DO NOT spend the money expecting to see it back in MPGs. You WILL get better MPGs in town, but will NEVER make back the price of doing this mod!

This is a performance mod and really a necessary one with larger tires to have to turn...

Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
2 wd requires changing the REAR gears. its been covered quite a bit on here, your lookin at about $7-800 per axle for parts and labor. you want a reputable shop with differential experience to do the install.
$700-$800 per axle is the going rate for the most reputable shop out here, the one i would go to. i looked into it on my 2nd gen a while back. should have clarified the price. i have heard that is on the higher end of pricing, but thats where i would feel comfortable going. And for something like that, you better feel right about whos doing the work cause u definitely dont wanna do it twice lol.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 AM
AK Rover
Rookie

What size tires do you want to run? a 4.56 gear is going to be extremely low which means your RPMs are going to be really high unless you're planning to change to much larger than stock.

Quick Reply: gearing up