3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noisy Alternator bearing(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
harleyguy03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Alternator bearing(s)

Lately I've noticed a whining sound comming from under the hood of my 05 rc/sb Hemi (35,000 mi). Checked it out and the noise seemed to be comming from the alternator. Took it to the "premier" ( in Cleveland) alternator/starter repair shop and got a confirmation. I was quoted about a $100.00 to replace the bearings. A rebuilt unit at Advance Auto parts runs between $165 and $200 for a Bosch or an Nippon Denso. Dosen't look too hard to remove the alternator. I guess you have to be careful with the belt tensioner that it dosen't snap back or something after removing the serpentine belt. I've only had the truck since last October so I haven't had to do any repairs yet. I was looking for an 05 shop manual but thery are hard to find and can be quite expensive. I did download an 04 issue to get a general falmiliarization with the process. How does that $100.00 repair cost sound?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Get a new 160 amp alternator and shove it in there. I have the book at home if you want I can scan it in and get it to you tomorrow afternoon. It really is not hard to change, as a matter of fact it is one of the easier ones to change...

Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
harleyguy03

I was thinking about the 160 amp alternator. Are you talking about a rebuilt 160 amp from the auto parts store? The auto parts guy asked me something about "snow plow option" I wonder if that was the 160amp unit. Getting an alternator at a Dodge dealer would probably be cost prohibhitive I was looking at the belt tensioner today. I saw a nut that seemed to be holding it on, I wasn't sure if it was the nut to turn the tensioner to release the tension on the belt. It didn't turn when I put a socket on it so I went to plan B which was to use a slim pipe wrench to fit over the end of the tensioner that worked ok, I also tried a welders vice grips which also worked. Not a lot of room by the tensioner because of the coolant and washer reservoirs. I saw some little holes on the tensioner that look like they might be for a special tool or something. I also see there is a mounting bracket (alternator/compressor) that also looks like it has to come off to be able to slide the alternator forward off the mounting bolt(s). I would agree that it looks like one of the easier units to remove. I've taken some off over the years that were a nightmare to get at, way down toward the bottom of the engine where you couldn't see the lower mount bolts, could barely get your hands down there, etc. I downloaded an 04 shop manual that looked similar to an 05. It warned not to let the tensioner "snap back" once the belt is relased or the tensioner could be damaged. I'm waiting for the weather to clear so I can take the alternator off as I don't have room in my garage to pull the truck in. probably do it later in the week.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
JD's Ram

I have the 05 service manual I can send you but it is a big attachment
send me your email and I will forward.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

You have to pull off that black plate in front of the alternator and ac compressor. That's 4 or 5 easy bolts. The alt itself has 2 bolts holding it in. It slides straight up but you'll need a pry bar to move it. Use a little wd40 to slide the new one on. A rubber mallet helps as it is a tight fit. You should be able to move the tensioner by hand. The whole r&r can be done in under an hour with basic tools.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
harleyguy03

Ok. I downloaded the 04 manual about 77 megabytes. (77,000kb) in just a few minutes. harleyguymail-05@yahoo.com
this is a disposable address that I will trash after the download. I assumed you were going to send it to my email.......Thanks. I'm getting "The look" so I have to go eat dinner.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
JD's Ram

It wont let me sent the entire attachment it is 8000 pages if I can sent a useful couple of pages let me know

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
harleyguy03

Let me research sending large files. Probably a zip file. Always good to have a shop manual around.even if we don't do the vast majority of the stuff in there. Great way to familiarize ones self with the repair procdures. I've always gotten a shop manual for almost all the vehicles I've had. I did see a dvd on ebay. I think it mentioned it was only distributed to dealers.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

tensioner is easy. get a 3/8" ratchet. there are 2 or three square holes in the tensioner arm. the one furthest from the pulley (i think) accepts a 3/8" ratchet. then you can crank on the ratchet, or stick a cheater bar on there to make it easier. the tensioner arm should be rotated so the pulley moves up. slide the belt off, ease off the ratchet.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
harleyguy03

Yeah, I saw those little squares, except I had a 1/2" ratchet with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter it was too big to easly fit into that area. I don't know why I didn't think of getting my 3/8ths ratchet with a cheater bar. I noticed the little square holes were not very deep. I saw in the 04 shop manual under special tools a spanner wrench that may have been for the tensioner, hard to tell because the shop manual didn't elaborate which tool was used for which purpose. Then again the shop manuals are designed for the profesional techs who should be more familiar with the various tools.

Quick Reply: Noisy Alternator bearing(s)