3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand the whole hemi tick thing. ive got a hemi and there are no sounds that truly bother me, maybe i just dont know what im supposed to be listening for but the motor is always louder when its cold.

but something you could try is synthetic motor oil. some people on here claim that royal purple tends to quiet the "tick" alittle.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very mild tick in my engine so I am planning on trying the royal purple like you said. That is the only thing short of tearing into the engine that I have heard helps some mild cases of the hemi tick.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i just made the switch to mobil 1 synthetic so ill see if the engine runs and quieter or smoother.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I have always run Mobil 1 but still have a little hemi tick, it did help lessen it as compared to whatever the engine had in it when I first got the truck. I am coming up on an oil change real soon, that is when I am going to try the RP and see if it changes any.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The shop called me late last night (apparently somebody forgot to call me) and told me that he didn't hear anything "unusual"...figures. They told me I could have picked it up last night, or they could perform a cold start test in the morning to make sure it doesn't make any other kind of noises they hadn't already heard. I told them just to do that, just so it can be documented that I brought the truck in with the ticking noise. That way if something destructive does happen while it's under warranty, it's been recorded since the day I've owned it. Can't say I didn't try I guess.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

What kind of dealer was it that you took it to? New or used, Dodge or another brand? I would think that it was not a dodge dealer bc I would hope a dodge dealer would know that amount of noise is indeed unusual.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

They are hardly a dodge dealership. They are a used car dealership that specializes in Nissan. Looks like I won't be getting too far with their bumper to bumper when it comes to this noise. They've been pretty cooperative with everything else. I just want this bumper to bumper to expire so I can live a little lol.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

They must specialize in diesels if they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary! Judging from the video you got more than a hemi tick IMO.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAR
They must specialize in diesels if they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary! Judging from the video you got more than a hemi tick IMO.
Seriously, that thing does sound like a diesel. They are probably saying it sounds normal bc they know they sold you a truck with engine problems and they don't want to get stuck fixing it.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bump anything new ??

Quick Reply: '05 Ticking Noise