3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like it loud, always have, but this is where I'm having my torn issues. I've got people on this forum telling me the Super 40 is fine, and then flowmaster getting pissy with me that I wanted to go with a 40 series muffler. They just kept insisting that the 50 series HD was specifically meant for our motors. The guy I spoke to was like, "Yeah, we were just really disappointed in 2003 when we put a 40 series on a hemi, just choked it right up, so we designed the 50 series HD which has giant internals to maximize the stock horsepower from that hemi motor." So I didn't really know what to say to that. I want it loud, but I'd rather loose some loud points in exchange for a muffler that's meant for my truck. I can't even really return this muffler now, I've already returned two mufflers within a week. It's getting crazy. I just don't want to be sad about this muffler either though. I spent double the money for the 50 HD, and once it's in, it's going to be in, I don't want to be opening up the exhaust again, it will suck.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I honestly can't think of anybody else that is as **** about exhaust than myself. I'm already starting to having second guesses about ordering the 50 HD. I can't even take it back now, it's already been shipped. The exhaust place is already sick of me, I've ordered three mufflers from them within one week, and returned two them already. I spent $25 of my own money just sending the other two back. Sending back the 50 would probably be even more because it's bigger. I just don't want to be unhappy. I know it will sound nice when I'm going through the gears, but once it gets into overdrive, it's probably going to be completely silent. I mean, that could be a good thing considering sometimes it can become unbearable after awhile. I don't know, I just don't want to spend all this money buying the 50 and then having it all new freshly installed, then leaving the exhaust shop completely pissed off wondering what a super 40 could have sounded like. I'm the worst at making decisions, I'm the master at second guessing myself lol. Lol, I hate making exhaust decisions. It's all Flowmaster's fault, every time I'd ask about the Super 40 or 44, they'd get all pissy and just keep shoving their 50 series down my throat

Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I spent double the money for the 50 HD, and once it's in, it's going to be in, I don't want to be opening up the exhaust again, it will suck.
You just stated the reason why flowmaster is pushing the 50hd on you.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

man your even more indecisive than me haha

Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Lol, yeah, I have it really bad. It takes a lot to satisfy me. Jeez, just three weeks went by, and the whole "new truck" thing wore off and I was already down to having the hemi stripe removed, the tint put on, the shorty antenna installed, and the exhaust being ordered...

I really can't return that muffler, it's getting crazy, and I'm losing money sending them back. I'm just going to have to stick to my guns and run it, and hopefully it will be loud. I'm putting the magnaflow y-pipe in, and going 3" from the y-pipe into the 50 series muffler, then 2.5" dual out of the muffler into 4"x18" tips going out behind each rear tire. The motor on this truck is already pretty darn loud stock, so it should be a very nice tone at full throttle.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

yes man it sounds pretty loud to me when you get on it. ive set off car alarms with it so it has to be somewhat loud lol

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Man, if you think the 50 hd is loud you better not get a cutout, you might scare yourself

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

haha i know its not as loud as i could get/want it but its enough. i drive with the windows down and stereo blazing lol all the time so i only really hear the exhaust when i floor

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

I must be going deaf bc I thought the 50hd was quiet.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

probably lol jk i have young ears remember. i do want a change bc ive had it for about 3 yrs now but i dont know want to do bc i dont want to get new piping.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Questions