3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'd probably be the best time to do it since he's starting fresh from the y-pipe back with a 3" pipe. If I'm going to do the cutout, now would be the time while he's doing the exhaust system. Would an exhaust cutout void a warranty at all? I mean, wouldn't it be "catback" still if I wasn't touching the cats? Also, does that cause any damage having those hot exhaust fumes dumping underneath the cab?

I called the exhaust guy but he was busy so he'll have to call me back. I'm going to ask him what he thinks of the exhaust cutout. If it's no big deal to him, I may consider doing the 50 series HD muffler, and the exhaust cutout all at the same time, and never have to think about it again. I'm just hoping that a shop isn't going to get all gay and start blaming the exhaust cutout for damaging something while it's under warranty...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no the cutout should void your warranty but its probably illegal in your state. its illegal here in tx but i know people who run them and havent had any problems. umm im sure teach will chime in bc he has run one for a while so he can comment about the fumes. but my guess i would think its fine bc the tube is pointing down

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I canceled my exhaust appointment for this Friday because I'm having a hard time choosing the right muffler.

I've called Flowmaster several times, and they all tell me I should go with the Flowmaster 50 HD series because it's meant for the Hemi. They say it outflows any of the 40 series mufflers with it's 4" path radius inside the muffler. I don't get why they are so hard pressed to stray me from their louder mufflers. The 50 series is much quieter than the 40 series. But when I told them I was looking at the 40 series or the 44, they're like, "Oh that's going to restrict that Hemi motor, do not put that muffler on". And if you WANT it loud and don't mind losing performance, then just go with the Super 40. So I'm quite confused with what muffler to go with now. I know I won't be satisfied with the 50 series sound, yet Flowmaster claims it's the only muffler that maximizes the efficiency of the hemi motor. What do you guys make? I want it loud, yet flowmaster says any of the 40 series will choke the hemi.
If you want sound/noise you do not want the 50hd muffler. I had it on my truck and couldn't remove it fast enough. It was just too close to stock sounding for my taste. I replaced it with a super 40 and it sounds way better. An added benefit was that my truck actually gained performance by taking off the 50hd. I could feel it the first time I drove it and it showed when I did some 0-60 runs. It was a small difference but it was there. If you want to hear the difference between the 50 hd and the super 40 I have a video I made comparing the two. I can post the link when I get home or you can look up my vids under the name jason149149 on YouTube.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
no the cutout should void your warranty but its probably illegal in your state. its illegal here in tx but i know people who run them and havent had any problems. umm im sure teach will chime in bc he has run one for a while so he can comment about the fumes. but my guess i would think its fine bc the tube is pointing down
No fume problems here, I have mine angles down and toward the passenger side so I think most of my exhaust fumes get evacuated.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thanks teacher.

As of yet, I've gotten into a little mess with my mufflers. Last week, I bought a 40 series delta flow from 21stcenturyexhaust. Then, about three days later, after it was already shipped, I decided I wanted it really loud, and ordered the original 40 series. So I had to send the delta flow back and lost money. Now, flowmaster is telling me that the original 40 series is a bad idea for the hemi motor. So I just got the 40 series in the mail, but I don't want it anymore. I cancelled my exhaust appointment for this friday because I didn't know what I wanted. I defiantly don't want the 50, but flowmaster keeps shoving it down my throat. If I don't do the cutout, should I just do the super 40? Is that the best flowing option besides the 50 series? Uh.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

is the 50series and the super 40 interchangeable bc i might want to get the 40 series down the line but dont want to get new piping

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Well, after all of this headspinning conversation, I just ordered the Flowmaster 50 HD. Everytime I called Flowmaster, they kept telling me it was the best choice. They said the designed the 50 HD specifically for the hemi motor, with it's 4" flow radius inside the case. I kept telling them I wanted it really loud, but they said the 50 series is loud, and that it's the best muffler for our motors. I know I could have gotten a louder muffler, but it seems like the guys who are making these mufflers to begin with would know best as to which of them is going to perform the best. So, I have now returned both the 40 series delta flow and the original 40 series back to 21stcenturyexhaust. I then ordered the 50 series with a 3" center inlet/2.5" dual outlet for $125 shipped. I know it's not going to be as aggressive as the 40s, but I'd much rather know it's meant for my motor specifically.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
is the 50series and the super 40 interchangeable bc i might want to get the 40 series down the line but dont want to get new piping
Nope, the super 40 is shorter than the 50 hd, so you would need some pipe to make up the difference in length.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
Well, after all of this headspinning conversation, I just ordered the Flowmaster 50 HD. Everytime I called Flowmaster, they kept telling me it was the best choice. They said the designed the 50 HD specifically for the hemi motor, with it's 4" flow radius inside the case. I kept telling them I wanted it really loud, but they said the 50 series is loud, and that it's the best muffler for our motors. I know I could have gotten a louder muffler, but it seems like the guys who are making these mufflers to begin with would know best as to which of them is going to perform the best. So, I have now returned both the 40 series delta flow and the original 40 series back to 21stcenturyexhaust. I then ordered the 50 series with a 3" center inlet/2.5" dual outlet for $125 shipped. I know it's not going to be as aggressive as the 40s, but I'd much rather know it's meant for my motor specifically.
From having read your posts before on here and back on the 2nd gen site when I was on there, I know you are going to be disappointed with the sound you get from the 50hd. It is not going to give you the loudness that you are looking for and despite what the people at flowmaster say, the performance is better with the Super 40 than with the 50hd. I have the 0-60 times to prove it. Now maybe that is just my truck, but that is all I have to go by.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Nope, the super 40 is shorter than the 50 hd, so you would need some pipe to make up the difference in length.
lame lol well i guess its the cutout for sure now

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Questions