3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is the torsion bar crank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
justint420
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the torsion bar crank?

What does it mean to say crank the torsion bars? My dad told me if I do this it will knock the allignment way out of line.

What is this torsion bar crank and what benfits/problems come from it?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: What is the torsion bar crank?

Listen to your father.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 AM
sudadog
Default RE: What is the torsion bar crank?

Your torsion bars are basically your struts on an independent front suspension. If you get under the front of your truck they will be the two straight bars going from the front "axle" to under the cab. At the back of the bars are adjustment bolts to adjust the stiffness (and height) of the ride. Just remember to adjust both sides exactly the same.

"Cranking" your torsion bars simply means tightening these bolts slightly. Four to five complete revolutions should raise the front end about 3/4". You can go more than that, but it puts a lot of strain on the suspension, makes the ride rougher, plus pust a lot of wear on the outer edge of your tires...

If you stick with a modest 4-5 turns and rotate your tires regularly, you shouldn't notice any extra wear, or much (if any) change in alignment.

Quick Reply: What is the torsion bar crank?