3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Ram - several trouble codes and SES lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 PM
nurkvinny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Ram - several trouble codes and SES lights

Vehicle - 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC with 5.7L.

Story - My wife's Equinox blew a fuse and her suv had no spares. I look in the underhood fuse block of Ram, find one labeled "SPARE", take it out to use in her car.

The next day, I pull out of the driveway, make it about 20 feet, and 3 lights pop on and the speedo stopped working:

"BRAKE" "SES" and "ABS".

Truck still runs and restarts. Ran codes : D120, U1120, and U0121. I Googled all the codes, and found that the usual cause is a bad speed sensor mounted on top of rear end pumpkin. Got the part from Dodge, replaced sensor, made no difference (even after unhooking battery for 30 minutes and then explicitly deleting the codes).

As soon as the truck goes 10-20 feet, all 3 lights come back on. I went 80-90mph, and still no speedo.

I checked all other fuses, and replaced the "spare" fuse that I took out in case it was not a spare. Can you help? Obviously, I want to avoid the dealership.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Perhaps the PCM needs a reflash at the dealer for some reason.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
08arhemi
Professional

Something crazy like this happened in my old cheby...except mine would stop going. Turned out it was an inline fuse, not one in the box. Needless to say I was pissed that I had to get towed to the dealer and then robbed by them to replace a friggin fuse. Just trying to make you feel a little better about your situation...

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM
nurkvinny

Update. After hours of reading similar Ram issues from a dozen forums, I was convinced I was heading to the Dealer for a $$$ repair. I decided to give unhooking the battery one more try.

I read a post on this forum that mentioned removing the negative cable and only the negative cable from the battery to clear codes. While this still makes no sense to me, I gave it a try. First, I made sure the "spare" fuse was back in place, cleared the codes with the scanner, and made a quick test drive. Same lights popped back on and no speedo.

Then I pulled the (-) cable for ~60 minutes while I ate dinner. After hooking the (-) cable back up, all lights were out and have stayed for ~400 miles. I confirmed codes are still gone by using the Key on-off-on-off-on-off trick.

Dealership bill avoided for now.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Cheeech
Banned

hmmm??? Maybe you didn't pull the "spare" after all??? Better off leaving that one in from now on regardless of coincidence....lol

Quick Reply: 06 Ram - several trouble codes and SES lights