3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:35 PM
cve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil

Anyone run with Amsoil oil?

I'm about at the limit when I need to change my oil and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts? pros/cons

http://www.amsoil.com/

Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 AM
ross944
Veteran
Default RE: Amsoil

Go full synthetic, you'll thank yourself for it and you wont have to worry bout it for another 8000-10000 miles. top of the line synthetic is supposed to be good for 15000 miles. im not familiar with amsoil but from what im reading they sound pretty good. mobil1 seems to be the premeire brand for oil. try out this link, plenty of guys there who could help you out.

http://themotoroilsite.com/forums/

Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MObil, I noticed, is now claiming the 15K change intervals. Maybe this isn't new for Mobil 1, or perhaps they changed the formula to match Amsoils most recent offering.

????

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cve

Anyone run with Amsoil oil?

I'm about at the limit when I need to change my oil and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts? pros/cons

http://www.amsoil.com/

Yep.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 PM
horatio102
Champion

Mobil1 is the premier brand because it's on every shelf in every store. Amsoil is most likely better stuff though. I run regular oil in my truck and it's got 80k or so without a hint of consumption. I run synthetic in my VW because it's got a turbo that I like to heat up, a lot. I just don't see the cost benefit of running synthetic over regular oil in something low tech, like the Dodge. Sure, the oil can last up to 15k miles, but do you not still have to replace the filter? Oil serves several purposes - to cool, to lubricate, and to clean the engine. It removes contaminants to a safe place - the filter. Just because the oil can lubricate longer doesn't mean the filter can go longer without becoming more and more clogged with crap.
Perhaps I'll switch to synthetic if and when I build a shortblock stroker, but honestly I don't know that I'll have the truck long enough to see any payback for using more expensive oil.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
HoosierHemi

When did you switch to synthetic? My understanding is that you need a certain break -in period using dino oil before switching to synthetic. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 03-11-2005, 04:09 PM
moparturd
Banned

First oil change at 3K on mine.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

When Amsoil was a DF vendor, they had a chart that compared their oil to others. Amsoil was supreme. Go for it [sm=smiley20.gif]

-Matt-

Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
moparturd
Banned

According to their numbers. I've always wondered at what point it became overkill though. It is possible to over-design something. And considering the price of the Amsoil.??????

Old 03-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

If you have more than 15k miles on your engine, its ok to run amsoil. If not--wait. The synthetics are so good, that if the engine isn't broke in ie: good compression, they never will while you are running it. I ran it some years ago in a cherokee i had and it ran great.
At that time they recommended running it 6k miles with a filter change at 3k miles, plus the 1/2 quart to make up the difference.
As far as wear factor goes, it is ranked with royal purple, red line etc... a very good oil indeed. and if your dealer isn;t gouging you, it really doesn't cost anymore than regular oil based on the change frequency and cost / qt.
The down side is this---if your motor isn't tight--it leaks oil--at seals, gaskets or whatever, the leaks will get a lot worse.
Repair all oil leaks prior to changing!!!!! otherwise DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

Quick Reply: Amsoil