3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires - any experience with these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:00 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u didnt get 40k out of your coopers?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the truck about a month ago and it had the Zeon's on it. Don't know how many miles are on them but they've definately got quite a bit of life left in them. I've only had the truck in 4wd twice but its obvious these tires suck for off road use.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
Interesting responses. I'm not concerned with road noise at all, thats what my stereo is for. What I am looking for is a tire that I can get at least 40k out of that has 3 ply sidewalls and can do a good job in mud and sand.

I'm VERY impressed with my FCIIs. At about 19k they easily have 90%+ tread left. Not a cheap tire by any means, but I've yet to find a tire that does pavement (dry or wet) as well as these, yet still lets me hunt and play hard when I go up to the farm or the mountains...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by TheFist
I bought the truck about a month ago and it had the Zeon's on it. Don't know how many miles are on them but they've definately got quite a bit of life left in them. I've only had the truck in 4wd twice but its obvious these tires suck for off road use.

I do have to agree with you there. They aren't good for ANY muddy conditions at all. They just sink and spin. but then again, they aren't made for that either. They handle the rain better than any tire i have ever used and we get some sweet tires on our cruisers!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'm VERY impressed with my FCIIs. At about 19k they easily have 90%+ tread left. Not a cheap tire by any means, but I've yet to find a tire that does pavement (dry or wet) as well as these, yet still lets me hunt and play hard when I go up to the farm or the mountains...
Dick Cepek? I'll look into those.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

From my experience ( I work for Sears in the tire center) Falkens are crap for trucks. Most common truck tire in a Falken you'll find is the STZ-04 and 01. I'd recommend them if you have 22" rims or bigger simply because if you go with those size rims you'll probably not going to drive the truck...like a truck (reffering to 40 series and lower only).

The Wrangler HP's and Silent Armor's I like but I favor the Silent Armor, it's warrantied and I haven't heard anything rolling on the freeway at 90mph. The HP it's just a standard square profile tire that I haven't seen to many of but have heard a lot of complaints about, had 2 or 3 different Chevy Avalanches with those tires stock and had an average of 25k miles and were about 3/32's of usuable tread left.

I wouldn't recommend a Michelin tire either... I had the 245/70/17 stock on my Ram 1500 and a wopping 11k miles out of them, they were the LTX M/S.

I now have a Bridgestone Dueler APT III which I love the tire, the way it looks and performs. I do hate however that it's been replaced by the Dueler APT IV but the IV has just improved on the APT III really.

Just a little input I hope it helped

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

Nitto. Terra. Grapplers.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

Originally Posted by Freakinkeith806
Nitto. Terra. Grapplers.

I saw a set of those today... customer claimed 62k miles out of them, would have looked really good except the alignment wear from his half assed lift. Tell me this is a good tread wear, from the inside out, 0 - 4 - 8

Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ironsleeve318
From my experience ( I work for Sears in the tire center) Falkens are crap for trucks. Most common truck tire in a Falken you'll find is the STZ-04 and 01. I'd recommend them if you have 22" rims or bigger simply because if you go with those size rims you'll probably not going to drive the truck...like a truck (reffering to 40 series and lower only).

The Wrangler HP's and Silent Armor's I like but I favor the Silent Armor, it's warrantied and I haven't heard anything rolling on the freeway at 90mph. The HP it's just a standard square profile tire that I haven't seen to many of but have heard a lot of complaints about, had 2 or 3 different Chevy Avalanches with those tires stock and had an average of 25k miles and were about 3/32's of usuable tread left.

I wouldn't recommend a Michelin tire either... I had the 245/70/17 stock on my Ram 1500 and a wopping 11k miles out of them, they were the LTX M/S.

I now have a Bridgestone Dueler APT III which I love the tire, the way it looks and performs. I do hate however that it's been replaced by the Dueler APT IV but the IV has just improved on the APT III really.

Just a little input I hope it helped

What are the wrangler hp's?

Do you have any experience with the Wrangle Duratrac or the new Wrangler MTR with kevlar?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by Freakinkeith806
Nitto. Terra. Grapplers.
No offense but I think the terra grapplers are really just a street tire. I want a tire thats got more space in between the lugs to get the mud out.

Quick Reply: Tires - any experience with these?