3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires - any experience with these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As stated I've got the FCIIs, but if longevity or noise is not a big deal to you then the best I've personally seen for the mud (besides the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw and the Interco Bogger, which really have no business on the street) are the Nitto Mud Grapplers and the Mickey Thompson MTZs, followed closely by the Toyo M/Ts. The Nitto's are maybe a shade better in the slop, but wear considerably faster than the other two and are much louder on the pavement. I've been in the same hunting club in south Ga. for almost 20 years and have been around about every tire made for a 4x4 pickup, SUV and ATV for that matter...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
No offense but I think the terra grapplers are really just a street tire. I want a tire thats got more space in between the lugs to get the mud out.
None takin, I drive 75% on the streets on them, then go for the mud grapplers or something. this is my tread on them.

Name:  334.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  66.2 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
gidy34
Rookie

Why would you go with goodyears, they are expensive and have lots of problems?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you guys ever compare the treadwear ratings on tires?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Do you guys ever compare the treadwear ratings on tires?

If you do, you should'nt. Each company has testing and rating that are different from manufactures. So I'd highly advise against it.

Traction/Temp rating will be the same for instance a Traction AA rating and a B Temperature rating would be the same.

But the Tread wear could be 700 on one tire and then 560 on another, doesn't necessarily mean that the 700 is going to be a better tire.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
As stated I've got the FCIIs, but if longevity or noise is not a big deal to you then the best I've personally seen for the mud (besides the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw and the Interco Bogger, which really have no business on the street) are the Nitto Mud Grapplers and the Mickey Thompson MTZs, followed closely by the Toyo M/Ts. The Nitto's are maybe a shade better in the slop, but wear considerably faster than the other two and are much louder on the pavement. I've been in the same hunting club in south Ga. for almost 20 years and have been around about every tire made for a 4x4 pickup, SUV and ATV for that matter...
I looked at the Dick Cepek on their website when I checked out the FCII looks like a good tire.

I swore I was going to drive this truck for at least a year before I spent any damn money on it but it doesn't look like it will stay that way.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist
I looked at the Dick Cepek on their website when I checked out the FCII looks like a good tire.

I swore I was going to drive this truck for at least a year before I spent any damn money on it but it doesn't look like it will stay that way.
I don't know anyone with the Cepek Mud Country's, they are fairly new, and most people I know have the Mickey Thompson (same company as Cepek) MTZs.
I know the reviews on both are really good, but I don't trust reviews. The MTZ is solid. The Mud Country is probably just as solid, but like I said, I have no experience with them. If they are just a slightly more aggressive version of my FCIIs though, they would be a great tire.

I can tell you this though, I've put nothing but Mickey Thompson's or Cepeks on my trucks (and Wrangler) for over 15 years now, and have never had a tire related failure. I've also sold trucks with 60k+ on them and the tires and they had plenty of tread left. Also, up until maybe 3 years ago, there was nobody rougher on a set of tires than me...

Quick Reply: Tires - any experience with these?