3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram check engine - EGR valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I left the battery detached for about an hour yesterday and have driven a little bit and, so far, no code.

But, yes, that thingamajig in the picture above is what the auto parts guy showed me as being the part. However, due to the location of the airbox and the coolant resorvoir, it's not quite as visible or accessible as that one seems to be.

Someone mentioned a gasket. If I want to replace this part, should I just get the part and matching gasket? Does the gasket need to be dressed any sort of way, with adhesive or some sort or anything like that? Due to the restricted access to it, it's hard for me to tell exactly how this part is attached and can be removed.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Gasket dry, no sealant. It will probably come with a new gasket.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Drove to the same place and back the following Friday and the CE light came on again right after the truck started bucking on me a little bit. Called my favorite shop on my cell immediately and asked them to find and order me an EGR valve. By the end of the next day, the light went back off on its own. Took it in Monday morning to get it replaced and after waiting an hour and a half for an oil change I was informed that they would have to order the part because nobody in town had one in stock. "No ****! I told you that when I called you Friday!" Anyway, got it replaced on Tuesday for about $90 total parts and labor with OEM part and so far, all is well.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Go_Green
Rookie

Mine went out at about 17K miles...fixed under warranty, but it took two trips. First time, I told the dealer what the problem was and they ignored it and reflashed the ECU...thinking it was as software bug. A week later, CE light came back on, truck started bucking slightly, same code, so I took it back in. That time they finally changed the EGR valve...no problem since.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You can usually clean them with cleaner. they just carbon up is all. If you have a tuner, the egr can be turned off so you'll never have to worry about it again. i had ALL emissions for my 97 Mustang turned off and haad everything removed. All the AIR injection and smog crap. The beauty of a tuner is i still passed NYS inspection when they hook up to the car. Ahahahaha what they wish they knew. Tuners are a modders best friend i tell ya, you just have to know a custom tuner shop that knows what they are turning off is all.

Quick Reply: 04 Ram check engine - EGR valve