3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
AhmedRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont get it ppl...so i i need to do the same leveling to my 04 truck, i need to buy a new longer set?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by AhmedRam
i dont get it ppl...so i i need to do the same leveling to my 04 truck, i need to buy a new longer set?
well being a 04 you have a IFS front end and have t-bars so yours will be cheaper to do just crank the t-bars and get a ailnment done and you can still use your stock shocks but it will **** you off when you hit bumps cause they are not long enuff.
but if you want to get (and should get) longer shocks it will stop this shock problem from over extending. all in all new keys are around 100 bucks . but you dont need them just use that money and buy new shocks or relocate brackets. and no you dont need to replace the rears but it would be nice

Old 05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
AhmedRam
Professional

Originally Posted by ramhunter1
well being a 04 you have a IFS front end and have t-bars so yours will be cheaper to do just crank the t-bars and get a ailnment done and you can still use your stock shocks but it will **** you off when you hit bumps cause they are not long enuff.
but if you want to get (and should get) longer shocks it will stop this shock problem from over extending. all in all new keys are around 100 bucks . but you dont need them just use that money and buy new shocks or relocate brackets. and no you dont need to replace the rears but it would be nice
well i already did the crank but not all the way coz i didnt want to harm the shocks but now i guess im gona go for the rancho's shocks so i can crank them again to get more level done.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

well i already did the crank but not all the way coz i didnt want to harm the shocks but now i guess im gona go for the rancho's shocks so i can crank them again to get more level done.
Good move, just remember to get another alignment afterwards, it's amazing how just a slight change will throw it off a bunch...

Old 05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
'Tis true, but if you got the green, get you a set of Rancho's or Bilstein's, you won't believe how much better the ride quality is over the stock shocks...

Hammer, please indulge my ignorance!
Smoother ride? stiffer ride? Ofcourse the reaction time will be better but generally at the price of harshness?
The airride shocks outback run a little bouncy because I have been keeping 20#'s in them since I have been doing hauling every other day. (20#'s in mine are like 40#'s in yours)
My wife won't ride in my truck if it'sa lumber wagon, but i wanna get the 2.5'' level done up front this summer. i WILL be replacing the shocks. Just wanna know what to expect???

Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 PM
AhmedRam
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Good move, just remember to get another alignment afterwards, it's amazing how just a slight change will throw it off a bunch...
well im not finding on Rancho any shock that is for 2'' lift. all is for 4'' or 5''. will the normal shock work ok with the 2'' crank?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's all about damping rate, the faster a shock can utilize hydrolics and the viscosity of it's fluid to absorb and transfer energy, the better the ride characteristics.
In a nutshell, better (more expensive) aftermarket shocks dissipate heat and react to changing terrain (bumps and body lean) much faster and throughout a greater range than cheaper, lesser quality, stock shocks.
Although the perfect scenario would be to match the shock type and viscosity of the shock's fluid to your specific driving, in general, a better built shock will offer a much better ride than a cheaper shock.
Of course, if you purchase an adjustable shock, it's possible to fine tune it to your ride to some degree...

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The airride shocks outback run a little bouncy because I have been keeping 20#'s in them since I have been doing hauling every other day. (20#'s in mine are like 40#'s in yours)
Yeah, then that's a lot of air to be running around with empty, it only takes about 30# in mine to level the truck with the ATV sitting way back with most of the weight rearward of my rear axle (thanks to my toolbox), hell it only takes about 45# to level mine when I pull a dual axle trailer with a 7700 lb. tractor and box blade behind it...

well im not finding on Rancho any shock that is for 2'' lift. all is for 4'' or 5''. will the normal shock work ok with the 2'' crank?
I've seen this come up before, I run the RS9000Xs that are specifically made for their 4" suspension lift. I know there is a model that works perfectly with a 2" lift. I'm thinking it's the ones listed for Ford full sized van's, but I'll try to get you the exact part # from someone whose used them on a leveled 1500 Ram...

Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

No Ranchos, but try here for a few other brands.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/p...s.php?S_ID=148

Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hammer, please indulge my ignorance!
Smoother ride? stiffer ride? Ofcourse the reaction time will be better but generally at the price of harshness?
My wife won't ride in my truck if it'sa lumber wagon, but i wanna get the 2.5'' level done up front this summer. i WILL be replacing the shocks. Just wanna know what to expect???
Dirty I looked into the Bilsteins and Rancho. According to Bilstein the shocks they had for 08's have been discontinued and the ones replacing them dont come out until mid June, and they are $125.00 a piece. Rancho only makes shocks for 08's in 0" (stock) and 4" (too much for a level). I havent looked at any other brands I want to go with Bilsteins so I will be waiting until June.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my OEM shocks after a 2 1/2" level. No issues with bottoming or with hyper-extending when the front wheels leave the ground.

Quick Reply: New shocks