3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats this power drop and all over the road bouncing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this power drop and all over the road bouncing problem?

Imagine if you will your vacum cleaner sounding like your motor. Then all of a sudden somebody pulls the plug. That sucking sound of instantly lost power is what my truck is doing on two separate things.

#1 I left off the throttle and coast a bit because of traffic or some other slight delay, hit the gas again and the truck feels like it downshifts but theres no power. Almost feels like a stall but isn't. Reference the above example and thats what it feels like. Sometimes it also feels like this through the shifting sequence from 1st to 5th.

#2 I'm on a washboarded dirt road and the rear end loses all traction and is just bouncing around completely out of control like its having some kind of violent siezure. Really F'N irritating. Going faster over these types of roads will take the rough ride out for the driver so I give it some gas. The truck instantly goes into no power mode and won't come to life no matter how much I floor it. Is this due to some b.s. wheel spin/traction control sensor that won't let the engine rev with a loss of traction?

Lastly, I'm going down the road and hit some small bump in the road at 40 -50 mph. The truck bucks and jumps damn near into the other lane. This has happened a few times on what look like insignificant bumps in the road.

I haven't towed anything with this truck yet and haven't had it in any major off road situation yet but so far...I am very UN impressed with the Dodge and the Hemi.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Hoss356
Captain

#1 sounds like you're shifting into the alternate second gear, known as 2nd prime.
#2 I don't know, I don't have traction control on mine but it sounds like traction control to me.

You might try a tuner either Diablo sport predator U7137 or the superchips flashpaq 3815 both will "wake up" the hemi and really improve the transmission shifting making the trucks drivabilty better. Those should give you more control over your truck.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
TheFist
Veteran

The tuner is an intriguing idea. I'm just worried I'm going to bake the motor or trans. I get nervous when I start screwing with the computer stuff. How reliable are trucks over the long term with these tuners?

The dealer that I've used for service for my wife's jeep and this truck was cool about tuners and stuff, unfortuneately they're going out of business and the other dealer, way accross town, isn't as easy going.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the turner wont fry your motor or trans. its easy to install and if you need to go back to the dealership then tune it back to stock and your good to go

Old 05-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Quite a few people on here have tuners, i haven't read a horror story on here yet caused by a tuner. I've had the DSP for about 4 months now and 4k miles no problems yet and I highly recommend it. Note, there are many different schools of thought on this site as to which one tuner is the best, use the site search button for more information as this subject on here it is almost a dead horse.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I'v got to agree that a tuner will wake the sleeping HEMI and give you more control over your truck, or so I'v heard. I don't have a tuner right now, I am planning on getting one in the near future but in saying that, I don't nor have I ever had anything like the problems you are having so I would have to say you have another problem that maybe the dealer or where ever you got your truck from needs to look into. Seems to me if you got a tuner you would just be covering up the problem. I just would think the truck should run better than that even stock. Just my "hillbilly" .02

Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Hoss356
Captain

I agree with bear as well, it definitely wouldn't hurt to take it in and have it checked out.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 PM
draco8494
Captain

well it seems you def have an issue with your truck, aside from traction issues my truck is an F-ing beast, and weighs a quick little bit more than yours, i would deffanately get it checked out with the dealer, and while its there test drive the same truck and see how much diff it is

Old 05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
MontanaRAM
Captain

bouncing around could be a shock issue, i know mine are no good and i jumped into another lane once from a small bump.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Have you driven your truck on a washboarded road? If not, then you now know how they ride. My truck slides all over the place when I hit the washboards on the country roads. It's just because they're rough, and the most of our weight is in the engine, and not the bed, so it's real easy for that to slide around.

Quick Reply: Whats this power drop and all over the road bouncing problem?