3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Rotors Warped - which replacments to buy for 2006 QC w/20" ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Brent Thomann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rotors Warped - which replacments to buy for 2006 QC w/20" ?

My newly bought 2006 5.7 Quad Cab now has 20,000 miles on it now and the front rotors are shot/warped! pads still at 60%

Which replacement rotors should I get that will not need replaced so often? Living in buffalo NY, lots of snow in the winter so drilled rotors might not be good, heard they crack with temperature changes? I'm also a aggressive driver my wife says but I never tow anything.

I read on here that these are good-
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2654910.aspx

but I also have a a Napa and Autozone near by, maybe they have something more affordable and that will work just as good. I don't care about appearances since they rust after one winter anyways.

Your Knowledge is greatly appreciated,
Brent

Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would just get the ones from autozone, save some money they work great.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:21 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nim81
i would just get the ones from autozone, save some money they work great.
+1...

Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Brent Thomann
My newly bought 2006 5.7 Quad Cab now has 20,000 miles on it now and the front rotors are shot/warped! pads still at 60%

Which replacement rotors should I get that will not need replaced so often? Living in buffalo NY, lots of snow in the winter so drilled rotors might not be good, heard they crack with temperature changes? I'm also a aggressive driver my wife says but I never tow anything.

I read on here that these are good-
EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2654910.aspx

but I also have a a Napa and Autozone near by, maybe they have something more affordable and that will work just as good. I don't care about appearances since they rust after one winter anyways.

Your Knowledge is greatly appreciated,
Brent
Are the "shot" past the point of having them resurfaced? Mine front rotors were warped and I had them resurfaced for about 7 buck a piece. They are good as new now. But if you do have to get new ones, like previously said, I would just go to your local parts store Auto Zone, Advance, NAPA, O'Rielys or what ever you have and buy what they have.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 PM
hemipower05
Professional

resurfacing them i think is kind of a scam.... if you think about it your brake rotors are x amount of inches thick and if your able to heat them up and warp them, then y would making them thinner fix the problem? its kind of a lucky chance but i personally would rather bite the bullet and get new ones... im in the same situtation with an 05 qc/sb 5.7 1500.... do u guys suggest replacing the brake pads as well? and how bout the rear pads and rotors? or do u think the front is the only thing that needs to be changed?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told by several mechanics to stay away from anything classified as Silver, Gold or Platinum. Basically the stuff from Autozone or Advanced Auto parts. They all seem to recommend Carquest or Napa, telling me that there are two different kind of part stores, the one who sell in the masses and are just interested in $ and the other cares about what they sell and only sells good products. I am not sure why they say this but this has been the consensus where I live. I know from past experience I have had issues with the stuff from the first two warping. I had to do brakes and I went down to the local carquest and bought Raybestos brake rotors and pads. I have 6000 miles on the brakes and no issues. Just my .02

Old 05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hemipower05
resurfacing them i think is kind of a scam.... if you think about it your brake rotors are x amount of inches thick and if your able to heat them up and warp them, then y would making them thinner fix the problem? its kind of a lucky chance but i personally would rather bite the bullet and get new ones... im in the same situtation with an 05 qc/sb 5.7 1500.... do u guys suggest replacing the brake pads as well? and how bout the rear pads and rotors? or do u think the front is the only thing that needs to be changed?
Having your rotors turned down isn't a scam. it's something thats been done for years and continues to be done today, everyday. It's rediculous to go buy new rotors when your old ones will be just fine by having them turned down. Now like I said, I guess it depends on how bad some of you let your brakes get before servicing them. I mean if it's a slight shimmy when you apply your brakes then it's worth it to have them turned down but if it feels like it shakes the truck apart then I guess you would need new rotors. An experianced mechanic only turns them enough to get the uneveness out. It has to be with in spec or he won't do it.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Rotors are so cheap now a days there's no need to turn'em...especially in a truck that might need the extra strength and heat dissipation of thicker rotors. You can get new front rotors for $40 a pop and $30 for the rears....or just turn the rears since they don't do much anyway.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:47 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Which brake pads would you guys use for a lifted QCSB that tows a 18ft bass boat... The Adaptive Ceramics or Severe Ultra duty premium pads from napa.
Here are the ceramics... http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...+One+-+Ceramic
And here are the heavy duty ones... http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...+Ultra+Premium

They cost the same price, but I need ones that will be quite, leave little brake dust, and be able to stop quickly while pulling the boat because I don't have electonic brakes on the boat.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck is leveled with 33's and I tow a 19ft Bowrider weighing 4000lbs and I use the Raybestos from Carquest. No problems so far.

Quick Reply: Front Rotors Warped - which replacments to buy for 2006 QC w/20" ?