3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Powdercoating Grille Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:44 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i painted the chrome on the inside, mostly clear lens, I painted behind the amber reflector and reinstalled it, but it is your call, but it dont stand out as bad without the chrome behind it

Old 06-14-2009, 05:06 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, that sounds good. So I will have to take the plunge and try taking apart my headlights. I'm pretty crafty at stuff, but for some reason I have an addiction to paying people to do my ****...stupid. I probably should have had him do the foglights, but I wasn't sure how I was going to like the headlights, or how my visibility was going to be. I think once I remove that amber reflector and tint the inside of the headlight, it will look less dirty. Can you help me find that link again for taking apart those darn headlights?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Just take your time when you are cooking them and you will be fine. From talking to guys who have done it, as long as you check them regularly you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Damn, after looking over that DIY, I really cannot see myself getting into something like that, much too risky. Firstly, that looks like it could easily tie the truck up 1 or 2 days knowing me. And secondly, if I mess that up, then I'd be out of a vehicle for at least a week waiting for new headlights to come in. If I were to buy the headlights, would these be comparable to what guys are doing manually? I may try it, but jeez, I'd hate to get into that and regret it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

ok to me those headlights look like what you have just darker tint... and if you do get new headlights i call dibs on your stock ones lol

Old 06-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
ok to me those headlights look like what you have just darker tint...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Matt99
Champion

Teach, would you care if i posted a DIY link from the other site? I posted it step by step directions and pics on my lights

Old 06-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt99
Teach, would you care if i posted a DIY link from the other site? I posted it step by step directions and pics on my lights
How about you just copy and paste it and then make your own DIY thread over here? I think that would work better since most links to other dodge sites are blocked anyway.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Matt99
Champion

I cant post in the DIY directly and it would take too long to repost my pics from the other site, but heres the words without pics!
(Last time I checked they didn't have a 'how-to' for these year model headlights but now they do. I do it slightly different than the way already posted. You may want to discard this or possibly add it to the existing one, either way is fine with me)

For this project you're going to need a few things:

1.) Paint/clear coat
2.) Primer
3.) Masking tape
4.) Sandpaper(optional)
5.) 1 small flat-head screwdriver
6.) Black Silicone/Gasket Maker
7.) Oven

**Before you get started read through the whole how-to and make sure you understand each step so you don't get yourself in a bind later, I've done 6 lights using this method and it works for me. Good Luck.**

First thing you're gonna do is take your headlights off your truck. 2 screws under the hood and one nut inside the fender well hidden behind a rubber grommet should get it (I think they're all 10mm). Also, take the bulbs out of your headlight housing at this time. You also may want to take note of how the headlight will seperate where the clear plastic and the black plastic meet.

Ok with the both headlights now in the house, you should pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees(on bake).
The ovens I have used have had 2 trays so I had to remove the top tray to fit these massive lights inside the oven.
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 110.jpg Views: 2 Size: 413.8 KB ID: 240702
While the oven is pre-heating I usually grab a cookie sheet(?) and atleast one oven mitt, you can use whatever you want or is easier for you. When the oven reaches 250 degrees it's time to put the headlight on the cookie sheet and slide it in the oven
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 107.jpg Views: 2 Size: 419.7 KB ID: 240703
Now, let the headlights bake for roughly 10 minutes. (This is the only way I've tried it and I've never had the headlights 'fog up' and I can seperate the headlight in 1 shot so there is no need to re-heat the lights) When the 10 minutes is up the headligths WILL BE HOT! Use the oven mitt(s) and take the headlight out of the oven. You can take the whole tray out and set it on top of the stove but I usually put a couple of pot holders or a towel on the counter to set the headlight directly on.
This is a top view to give you an idea of what your trying to do.
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 120.jpg Views: 3 Size: 188.2 KB ID: 240704
Where the clear housing meets up with the black piece is where you need to slide in the screw-driver to seperate the housing. Note the tabs, try not to break these since you'll want to use these again later, they pry up pretty easy though so that shouldn't be a problem.
Take your time, do a good job without doing to much damage and make your way around the headlight seperating/prying apart the headlight. If it becomes too tough to seperate, then put it back in the oven after it's cool to the touch for another 10 minutes and repeat as necessary(The first set I did was on my truck and I did have to re-heat them once, but the next 2 trucks I've done since then I've gotten apart in 1 shot( it's no big deal just make sure they are atleast cool to the touch before re-heating ). Once you seperate the clear housing from the black backing, the chrome piece with the reflector just pops out(take note of how it pops out since you're going to have to reverse this process without scratching your fresh paint job later)and it should look something like this.
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 111.jpg Views: 2 Size: 425.4 KB ID: 240707Click image for larger version Name: Truck 117.jpg Views: 2 Size: 459.7 KB ID: 240708Click image for larger version Name: Truck 113.jpg Views: 2 Size: 303.3 KB ID: 240709
**If you have other plans for the reflector on the side of your blinker besides painting over it, now would probably be a good time to take it out (4 little clips will do it)**
Ok now the easy part, prep and painting. Sanding, the first 2 trucks, I did not sand the headlights but on the last one I did. I think you could by-pass this step, I couldn't tell a difference except that you definitely need to come back with primer if you do because chrome comes off very easily and the plastic scratches pretty easy and I was using 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper so you want to make sure that if you sand to prime it before you paint to help smooth out you finish. Next step would be masking off the area(s) you don't want painted. Since the headlight 'bowl' stays attached to the black plastic piece, all I worry about taping off is the reflector 'bowl'.
I put a few light coats of paint and then a few heavier coats of paint. Waiting about 10 minutes between coats. I come back with the clear coat immediately after my last heavy coat of paint to lock in the shine. If you have a different technique then by all means use it, I'm not a professional.
Anyway, however you decide to paint, when you're done it should look like this
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 115.jpg Views: 2 Size: 465.7 KB ID: 240710

The directions on the paint can said to wait an hour before handling, I usually wait atleast 2 or 3 just to be on the safe side. I would definitely wait an hour though. Now it's time to start putting this thing back together and wrap this job up. Go back inside your house (you did paint outside or in a shed or something right?) and very carefully slide your freshly painted pieces back inside the clear housing. I cannot stress enough to take your time and if it's not going in, carefully slide it out and try again, if not you will be looking at some scuffed paint.
At this point I pre-heat the oven at 250 again. While waiting I put a nice bead of the black silicone in the groove that the clear housing goes into. When the oven is ready I put only the black plastic piece with the headlight bowl and the fresh bead of silicone back into the oven, again for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes pull the black piece back out (don't forget your oven mitt(s)) and slide the clear housing (which already has the painted piece locked inside of it) back into the grooves. It sounds easier than it is, if possible I suggest having somebody help out with this step but it can be done by yourself. Once you get it in place, and sometimes it doesn't cooperate, lock the tabs back down on the clear housing.
I added another bead of black silicone around the edges when I was done to get it as close as I could to a factory like seal. If you skip this step then you can put your headlights back on your truck now, if you do add another bead of silicone wait until it dries because it gets a little messy. I only added the last bead of silicone to the last truck I did so I'm not sure how much it helps in preventing the light from fogging up like I find mine from time to time first thing in the morning, it's nothing that can't be cured by turning your headlights on for a few minutes though so this last step is optional. That's about it....here is what I ended up with.
Click image for larger version Name: Truck 106.jpg Views: 2 Size: 443.9 KB ID: 240711

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Grille Inserts