3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 intake manifold on a 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpheus
You can machine the intake all you want it still will not line up with the 5.7 heads. The intake ports are bigger than the ports on the heads,so how does taking material off the intake by machine solve that problem? I don't care what any performance shop says,it wont add any performance gains. All you will gain is a different looking intake and that's it. If you believe that I will sell you a Powerwire that will add 50 HP and a tornado that will add 25 HP and a throttle body spacer That will add infinite amount of HP. Do a bit of research on the subject and don't believe everything you read on the internet. Hot Rod magazine did an article with different intakes on the 5.7 Hemi and the 6.1 intake made lower numbers. If the 6.1 liter was such a bad *** motor why didn't Dodge use it in any of the Rams???
Because it isn't designed to be a "truck" engine, it's not a workhorse, it's a thoroughbred. Mopar Muscle magazine did an intake test on the first crate 5.7 they could get their hands on, which included throwing on a 6.1 manifold, read about it here.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 05-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Alpheus
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. Why fix something that isnt broken...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
nathanp
Captain

cool well just was curious about it, really you would have to get your stock heads machined or get the manifold welded and machined. But ill drop the idea, just seen it and wondered about it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Correct. Why fix something that isnt broken...
Because too much power is just enough...

Originally Posted by nathanp
cool well just was curious about it, really you would have to get your stock heads machined or get the manifold welded and machined. But ill drop the idea, just seen it and wondered about it.
Yes. The stock intake manifold on a CAR 5.7 is very similiar to the 6.1, just plastic and smaller ports. You would still have to do the whole conversion of the front of the engine process to use this manifold. The other thing is, the truck hemis through 08 are rated at 345hp, 370tq. The car hemis are rated at 340hp, but 375tq (390tq if you got a Daytona or any of the Chargers with the upgraded exhaust). That's actually backwards from the norm, usually your truck versions are lower hp, higher tq and your car versions are higher hp lower tq. If you did the whole top end conversion (and got the heads fixed to keep your CR close to what it was, as the chambers are different sizes) with the intake and heads, programming and at least a set of 4.56 gears, then you'd have something fun to play with. Until the trans and driveshaft broke.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That little 345CI 345hp/375LB/FT engine in my 5220lb QC is quite impressive.
It pulls like an old big block. Modern technology is great!!
I bet it moves a Challenger or Charger around really nice!

I haven't had the pleasure of driving one of those yet.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
That little 345CI 345hp/375LB/FT engine in my 5220lb QC is quite impressive.
It pulls like an old big block. Modern technology is great!!
I bet it moves a Challenger or Charger around really nice!

I haven't had the pleasure of driving one of those yet.
There's a reason for that: an old 383 (B block, 335/420) had pretty much the same specs (little more tq) but measured with the old gross hp system. Dropping even a stock 5.7 into an A body would be like dropping in a MODIFIED 383! Now I really wish that guy where I used to live was willing to part with the Demon he that never moved.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:04 PM
John Crocker

The ports dont line up so you lose performance unless you swap out 6.1 heads also...
wrong. The 6.1l hemi intake and the 5.7l hemi are compatible. Only the 6.1l hemi intake will give you some horsepower gain but you will lose some torque. Just a helpful heads up i just did the swap last weekend. The only problem im having is an issue with the PCV system malfunctioning and giving my a car a multiple cylinder misfire. Which is fixable. Just need a better flowing PCV valve.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

It's an 11 year old thread...

Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by John Crocker
wrong. The 6.1l hemi intake and the 5.7l hemi are compatible. Only the 6.1l hemi intake will give you some horsepower gain but you will lose some torque. Just a helpful heads up i just did the swap last weekend. The only problem im having is an issue with the PCV system malfunctioning and giving my a car a multiple cylinder misfire. Which is fixable. Just need a better flowing PCV valve.
And you have an eagle 5.7 in a car you dunce, different engine (pre-eagle 5.7 in a TRUCK) than what was being discussed ELEVEN YEARS AGO......did you seriously join JUST to drop that nugget and be wrong at the same time?
Also, unless you intend to put boost to it, if you had half a brain you would've put a 392 manifold on it. Nice hot air intake lol.

Quick Reply: 6.1 intake manifold on a 5.7