3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID low beams work, Highs dont...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM
hontzy87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID low beams work, Highs dont...

Attn: If anyone has anything to say about doing a search, spare yourself the time and DON'T POST!!!! I did a search and cannot find this specific topic...

Now without furthur ado (haha), i just installed my kit. Lows work amazing but high beams don't come on.. I know it is a high/low bulb with the rams, but does that mean i NEEDED to buy Bi-xenon? Or with the regular xenon kits, the ballast turns off and runs just the bulb (halogen) on high (as i thought)??? I thought is is HID low/ Halogen high. Correct me if i am wrong please... And any suggestions to whats up.. And if i do need Bi-xenon kit, can i just buy the Bi-xenon bulb, and use the ballast i have, or is there a special Bi-xenon ballast too?

Any help i'd appreciate!!!

Hontz

Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Who did you buy them from and have you double checked all of your wiring?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Cheeech
Banned

You need Bi-Xenons for both high & low beams. With just a regular bulb, you will only get low beams. There is a special ballast that is needed. It is a mechanical motor that moves the lens to a different position when you switch from high to low.

Hope this helps more than your search method....lmao j/k

Old 05-28-2009, 03:13 PM
hontzy87
Professional

The wiring is right, I checked it all. And i;m not looking to do HID high and low, just HID low and halogen high (the kit i have is just that). The kit is an ebay kit (of course). I might just run what i have deal for the time being till i get another kit. Also have the notorious "lamp out" light on... hmmmm

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM
hontzy87
Professional

bump... anyone? Am i even supposed to have high beams? Is this buld even supposed to light up when i click to high beams?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Matt99
Champion

Okay....her ya go if this is what you need. Our trucks are not Chevy's, they don't have two different sets for highs/lows. We have bi-zenon, which would be what? two?

A magnet is charged and pulls the bulb backwards, toward the engine bay. This pulls the end of the bulb out of the "sheath" and exposes the entire bulb. The brightest part of the light is now exposed, producing a "high" beam.

Now if you did not buy a bi-zenon kit, you only have low beam. I believe you cannot use the same harness/ballasts so you might have to buy a whole new kit. You could buy new bulbs for the kit, use that for your fogs, and buy a new bi-zenon kit. If you decide to buy a new kit then PM me about it.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
hontzy87
Professional

Matt99... you are GOD! haha. thats exactly how i wanted that answered to the exact par! Thanks alot dude, i appreciate it... I will be PMing you...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Cheeech
Banned

Originally Posted by hontzy87
Matt99... you are GOD! haha. thats exactly how i wanted that answered to the exact par! Thanks alot dude, i appreciate it... I will be PMing you...

Dude? Post 3. i already answered it. I just explained it layman's terms rather than scientific terms like your boy Matt99...lol

Just didn't know if you even realized I posted because you did post twice after.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Rizam
Professional

I like Cheech's response better, the halogen highbeams are a joke not even worth pulling back the switch.

Quick Reply: HID low beams work, Highs dont...