3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prices vary dependent upon whether you are a regular customer or a "preferred" customer. I think for their regular synthetic 5w-20, it was about $6.50 under regular customer prices. But if you spend $20 to be a 1 year preferred customer, you get 15%-25% off their items for that year of buying their stuff. The 0w-20 is quite a bit more, about $2.50 more a quart than their 5w-20.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeech
Can't go wrong with ANY oil these days. Really. The oil is so superior than what it was 20years ago. Synthetic is an absolute bonus. Brand name menas nothing at that point. It's personal preference. What I do know is that Amsoil and Mobil 1 were tested side by side in an independant study and Amsoil actually increased it's viscosity to almost straight 30w where as Mobil1 didn't. I believe that was at like 30kmi with just filter changes, so 5kmi intervals with a Synthetic filter is very do able. That's exactly what i do. 5kmi intervals w/Mobil1 (local Advance periodically has $29.99 5qt. Mobil1 oil/filter change specials) The 2 extra qts are at the discounted price too. i think it's $2.04
Old Cheeech did his homework on this one. It's well documented now that Amsoil gets thicker and thicker with repeated heating and coolings. It's how they "cheat" to get such long life out of it.
I'm not saying that Amsoil is not a good product, but I'd hesitate to use it in an MDS engine for sure, because the proper viscosity and flow of the oil is so important for proper engine performance. On a pre-MDS Hemi, such as yours, I'd feel a little better about it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-29-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i'd use it without hesitation as long as you still change oil at 6k, 8k tops. i had it in the truck, quieted down the ticking, bumped my mpg a little, ran smooth no problems...till 8k, then i felt it start bogging down.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

hey hammer,where is this documentation that Amsoil gets thicker? i had it in my car for 20,000 miles of pizza delivery in a turbo car and had it tested by a lab (not at Amsoil) and they said keep using it , it is almost like new.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:03 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Snake oil!!
Use 5W20 and change it at the recommended intervals in your owners manual and even Dino oil will work just fine.
If an oil is doing it's job with proper detergents, it will suspend the dirt that doesn't get caught by the filter and I sure wouldn't leave it floating around in my engine for 20K plus miles.
I have always changed my oil every 3K with dino oil on all of my vehicles and have never had any oil related problems with any of them. My 5.0 has over 164K on it and it is very clean inside. I opened it up for the first time last fall to install a larger camshaft and there is no build-up of any kind.

Just my tried and true opinion.
I would use Royal Purple if I was to use a synthetic oil. Not something that can not be bought at a local autoparts store.

Oh, I'm a qt low, I better mail order a qt of oil. WTF???

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeboy77
hey hammer,where is this documentation that Amsoil gets thicker? i had it in my car for 20,000 miles of pizza delivery in a turbo car and had it tested by a lab (not at Amsoil) and they said keep using it , it is almost like new.
It is pretty well documented now, here is the first one that hit on a Google search:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Old 05-30-2009, 12:04 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by lxman1
I have always changed my oil every 3K with dino oil on all of my vehicles and have never had any oil related problems with any of them.
changing oil every 3k for me would be every month and a half. pretty much the only reason i use synthetic.

but i agree, if you can change it every 3k, just use a good dino oil. dollar for dollar you won't gain anything by going to a synthetic. hell, i've gone 5k (most highway) on my old car with dino oil. had 160k, would have gone 300 easy.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I get about 2 months or so out of 3K. The manual actually says 6K for easy driving and 80% of mine is highway miles, but I'm old school and stick with the 3K thing.
I do my Grand Caravan on time because I bought it in Feb 08 and it just has 5200 miles on it

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i don't know, i don't see all his documentation, but i know we have hundreds of independant labs up here every winter. if my(our) viscosity went up that much none of our cars would start in -30 to -40 weather with 40 or 50 weight oil.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It is pretty well documented now, here is the first one that hit on a Google search:
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html
People who want to justify why they don't use Amsoil are quick to drag out this study. It's definitely an interesting study. Yes, the Amsoil viscosity increased from a 5W-30 to about a 15W-40 over the course of 14,000 miles and 13 months. The Mobil 1 viscosity also changes over time; increasing for several thousand miles and then oddly decreasing during its 11-month test. If you read the details, you'll see that they had to add 6.5 quarts of top-off oil in the Mobil 1 study. The Z28 running Amsoil added only 3.5 quarts. It's not exactly fair to compare the viscosity changes for this reason. On the Mobil 1 page of the study they actually point out the effects of the top-off oil. What is really impressive about the Amsoil study was the small amount of wear metals in the oil over time compared to the Mobil 1.

I use Amsoil in all my vehicles and small engines. I get a Blackstone Labs UOA every time I change the oil in my Cummins, and the viscosity has never increased. For my Chrysler 300M I don't get a UOA after every change, but when I do test it I find the oil viscosity changes are negligible after 7,000-8,000 miles. How many of you Hemi guys are stretching oil changes past 12,000 miles?

Quick Reply: Amsoil