3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

big mistake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 PM
cmcgraw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big mistake

I have a 2002 1500 Ram 4X4 5.9 with 54,000 miles (original owner)

I have had continual problems with check engine light coming on and it is always diagnosed as #7 miss firing. Last time (3 months ago they replaced a cracked spark plug)

1st problem:
Yesterday I went to start it and nothing. Did not turn over, no instrument lights, but had accessories that worked. I had to have it towed to my local dealer. It sat for about an hour and has started ever since. Of course it starts for them and they find nothing.... ? any ideas?

2nd problem: They say the check engine light is indicating #7 again and multiple miss firing. This time they are saying I need to replace all the spark plugs, wires, router, and clean fuel injectors.(He indicates every 30,000 miles for new plugs) Of course it's considered maintenance this time and not covered by warranty. (He indicates that unless you replace the wires and router at the same time as spark plugs...it won't get the proper spark.

(My service writer indicates there are 2 plugs per cylinder ... ? I don't have the vehicle here but I don't remember 2 plugs per cylinder...is he right?)

What would you do?

3rd problem: I have a noise (sqeak) coming from under the cab when sitting at cold idle. The service writer is indicating it's the brakes....aaaa what?! sitting idle and they diagnose the brakes!

So..In my opinion, my local dodge dealer is not finding anything to be submitted through my extended warranty and in fact feeding me a bunch of add-on maintenance issues which have nothing to do with the original problems. And, to top it off, because it's not warranty...I now owe for the tow. (being unemployed.....ouch!)

I need a reply from someone who knows something and that's why I'm on this forum....not my worthless Dodge service writer who sees $$$$$ when he looks at my vehicle!

I tried calling Chrysler to complain about the warranty service...it's impossible to get through. Does anyone have a number to call to complain about service? (just thought I'd ask)

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!! Thank you in advance!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

#1 Possibly a loose connection that got bumped around during the tow. Could be on the starter, battery of engine block.

#2 The 5.9L only has 8 spark plugs. (The 5.7L Hemi has 16). I am guessing that the "router" is actually the distributor cap and rotor.

#3 Not brakes for sure. Possible exhaust leak or fan belt.

Summary = Find a new dealer!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
FireRescue J-16

My 05 4.7 has the same annoying squeak at cold idle. I figured mine out and it had something to do with the water pump. I never actually figured out what it was but i had to change my water pump and ever since i changed the pump the squeak aint happened again.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No turn over tells me its definently something to do with the starter or electrical connections going to the starter. If the starter seems to struggle, it may need replaced. Otherwise, check the starter solenoid for loose connections.

2. First, only 8 plugs in the 5.9L. Second, if they replaced the plugs under warranty before and it obviously didnt fix the problem, this should be under warranty also. Its not your fault they didnt fix it right. If the plug is destroyed, it'll obviously need replaced but no need to replace the others (unless its time per maintainence schedule every 30k). The wires shouldnt need replaced. Your problem with misfiring is either from the computer telling it when to fire, or the timing could be off (i'd lean toward the computer). Its possible you could need a new rotary inside the distributor, but only if its damaged.

3. No possible way your brakes would make that noise if you're at idle. The easiest way to diagnose it would be crawl under the truck while its squeaking to try to find it. Obviously its a moving part. Does it go away when not at idle anymore? Is it proportional to rpms?

Either way, GET A NEW MECHANIC!! This guys inhaled too many tailpipe fumes. not only is he dumb, but dishonest as well.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Sounds like the dealer didn't even troubleshoot anything...they're telling you to replace plugs/wires/rotor and clean the injectors so they don't know if the problem is spark or fuel.

Pull the wire off #7 stick a screwdriver in the boot and ground it...crank but don't start her and look for spark (or remove the plug put back in boot and check that way). If you get spark pull the plug and look for fouling/damage and re-gap the plug. If that doesn't help the miss or you don't get spark than you probably have a fuel injector problem since the miss is only #7. Run some over the counter cleaner through it and see if that helps...you might be buying a new injector/s.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:08 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You better not ground the screw driver, you have to leave a gap to ground to watch for spark. It's better to buy a cheap spark tester at Autozone that plugs into the plug wire and clips to a ground so you can watch the spark in a clear tube.
Then you can start it.
#7 is the rear plug on the driver side.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
cmcgraw

Thank you to everyone. The whole situation and the way the service writer handled it leads me to understand why they all are going under.

It has started every time since it is back from the dealership. Leads me to believe they did something but they don't want to disclose it because it they did then the warranty would go into effect.

The miss firing. They used BG fuel injector cleaner and it's better but still has a rough idle. The check engine light is off so it helped a little. I am going to pull the plugs and check to see what they look like and check the gap. Does anyone know which one is #7? I should see a fairly new plug in 7 since (supposedly) it was replaced a few months ago. I'm going to check the wires with my tester and if they are within the limits, I shouldn't need new wires.

The squeek I haven't found yet. It's coming from under the hood but I'm having a hard time identifying where so far. I'll check the water pump...thanks.

I don't put a lot of miles on it. In fact I only drive it about 7000 a year and not many are highway miles ...the service writer recommended putting Sea Foam in the tank. What are you opinions on that suggestion?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 should be against firewall on drivers side! the worst one to get to!!! I had a plug fowl and the service engine light stayed on even after i fixed it, til i unhooked battery and reset.

It sounds to me that your dealer is looking for work! And I ain't never heard of sea foam?? what the hell is that for?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cmcgraw
I am going to pull the plugs and check to see what they look like and check the gap. Does anyone know which one is #7?
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by lxman1;1684371
#7 is the rear plug on the driver side.[/quote
+1^^^

Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
V10Venom
Captain

Seafoam is good stuff. I would put a bottle in a full tank of gas, then poor another bottle down the t/b. This really helps things out. You need someone to keep the RPMs up though while you poor it in the T/b. I also put some in my oil 500 miles before my last change.

Quick Reply: big mistake