3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MUFFLER QUESTION - I gotta get rid of this MagnaFlow

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
TheFist
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUFFLER QUESTION - I gotta get rid of this MagnaFlow

Alright, so I towed my trailer for the first time since owning my 1500 Hemi Ram. The previous owner installed a Magnaflow muffler with some 3" exhaust, cat back.

I've not like the muffler since I bought the truck, I just don't like the fake muscle car sound, but after towing... I HATE it! The cab noise really sucked. When I hit the hills it was unbearable. For whatever reason, it effected my left ear the most so when I was on the hills I had to plug my ear with my left hand. By the time I got to where I was going my ears were ringing.

After ranting, what I'm wondering, is there a muffler made that flows better than stock but leave's out all that damn noise? I've got the Magnaflow y pipe and I'd like to do the muffler and the pipe at the same time.

Thanks.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Fris
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the same boat as you! I hate my exhaust! It is waaaaaay too loud while towing up a hill or in heavy load.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've had it with your Magnaflow, certainly don't look at getting a Flowmaster. magnaflow has a lot less drone than almost all other brands.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
butch1581
Captain

is the muffler worn out? how old is it? Seems like everyone on here who has a magnaflow is reall happy with it. What year truck is it for?

Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 AM
pavester
Professional

you could always try aeroturbine 3030 or hell go with cutouts. close them when your hauling if you dont want to deal with the sound and open em up when those chevy trucks need to be embarrased.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
If you've had it with your Magnaflow, certainly don't look at getting a Flowmaster. magnaflow has a lot less drone than almost all other brands.
Wow, thats a scary thought.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by butch1581
is the muffler worn out? how old is it? Seems like everyone on here who has a magnaflow is reall happy with it. What year truck is it for?
Shouldn't be worn out, the trucks only 2-1/2 years old.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by pavester
you could always try aeroturbine 3030 or hell go with cutouts. close them when your hauling if you dont want to deal with the sound and open em up when those chevy trucks need to be embarrased.
I'll look at the aeroturbine but just the turbine sounds like its going to be noisy. I'm almost ready to just go back to stock. I'm going to call a few exhuast shops and call magnaflow and see if they've got anything for me.

I don't mind a little rumble but I didn't buy the truck to be a noise maker, I bought it to get me around, hual my stuff and get in and out of my hunting spots.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Bigc9164
Veteran

what year is ur truck? i have never heard a bad thing about a magnaflow.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
TheFist
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bigc9164
what year is ur truck? i have never heard a bad thing about a magnaflow.
Its a 2007. Its not that the muffler bad, in fact, it would probably be exaxtly what everyone here seems to want. I just do not like the major in cab noise while under load.

I've called a few exhaust shops and before I could even finish explaining they all knew what I was talking about. They're recommending the Flowmaster 50. I'm being told at low end there's still some rumble but it smoothes out at higher rpms and the drone goes away?

I know everyone here seems to prefer magnaflow over Flowmaster. I'll do a search as well but anybody here have or had a flowmaster 50 and what was the noise like?

Quick Reply: MUFFLER QUESTION - I gotta get rid of this MagnaFlow