3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird exhaust noise.....08 Ram 1500. NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Lunchbox573
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Weird exhaust noise.....08 Ram 1500. NEED HELP!

I just bought a 2008 Ram 1500 last week and the first thing I wanted to do was put an aftermarket exhaust on to make her sound good. The only problem is now I have a weird bubbling/bogging noise coming out. I have tried a CherryBomb Extreme, single chamber, single in dual out and a Flowmaster Series 40, dual chamber, single in dual out and both have produced the same noise. Both the CherryBomb and the Flowmaster had turndowns but I now have the CherryBomb with dual tail pipes right now. All the setups had the same result. The noise comes at any speed around the 1600 rpm range but it is the worst on the interstate doing around 75 mph.

The best way I can describe it is when the truck gets into say 40 mph and gets down to 1600 rpms it just makes a bogged down noise (a whole different tone coming out of the exhaust). If I try to accelerate out of it the noise becomes louder and then eventually kicks out of it. There is no loss of power or anything. The kicker is that when I turn overdrive off the noise never happens.

I have taken it to a Dodge dealer and 2 local shops here and they all say there is nothing wrong with the truck it is the exhaust that is causing the noise. A guy gave me a long explanation that I can't remember every detail to but it basically boiled down to air flow and that a single in single out would cut out the weird noise or possibly a programmer like SuperChips, that could adjust shiftpoints could possibly take it out, or maybe a cool air intake.

My question is, has anyone else had the same problem? If so, any insight?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Sounds like the MDS kicking in and out

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Lunchbox573

I'm sorry, I'm not all that knowledgeable about trucks. What is MDS?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

thats MDS (multi-displacement) when you are at a cruising speed you will loose 4 cylinders. drinvig with OD off or in tow/haul mode will disable the MDS, you can also do this permanitly with a programmer.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

On the 06 and newer engines it is a system that basically shuts off 4 of your cylinders when you are cruising or in a certain rpm range/speed. So basically what you are hearing is it switching from 8 cylinders down to 4. There are programers out that can disable that feature otherwise you need to keep it in Tow/Haul mode all the time

Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
RagingSamster
Amateur

I thought MDS was only on hemi engines (?) I kinda like the sound of the stock muffler on mine, a little rumble but not too over the top

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, that would be a drone that just about EVERY 06+ owner complains about when adding aftermarket exhaust. The only people who have been able to get rid of it to my knowledge are those who've purchased a tuner and turned the feature off...

Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

hey i love it when the MDS kicks in. i have a flowmaster 40s on it. its a nice deep tone. i think im one of a kind.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

I like it too. I read an article that Chrysler paid an exhaust company to make an exhaust that you could not hear mds cutting in and out.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Lunchbox573
I just bought a 2008 Ram 1500 last week and the first thing I wanted to do was put an aftermarket exhaust on to make her sound good. The only problem is now I have a weird bubbling/bogging noise coming out. I have tried a CherryBomb Extreme, single chamber, single in dual out and a Flowmaster Series 40, dual chamber, single in dual out and both have produced the same noise. Both the CherryBomb and the Flowmaster had turndowns but I now have the CherryBomb with dual tail pipes right now. All the setups had the same result. The noise comes at any speed around the 1600 rpm range but it is the worst on the interstate doing around 75 mph.

The best way I can describe it is when the truck gets into say 40 mph and gets down to 1600 rpms it just makes a bogged down noise (a whole different tone coming out of the exhaust). If I try to accelerate out of it the noise becomes louder and then eventually kicks out of it. There is no loss of power or anything. The kicker is that when I turn overdrive off the noise never happens.

I have taken it to a Dodge dealer and 2 local shops here and they all say there is nothing wrong with the truck it is the exhaust that is causing the noise. A guy gave me a long explanation that I can't remember every detail to but it basically boiled down to air flow and that a single in single out would cut out the weird noise or possibly a programmer like SuperChips, that could adjust shiftpoints could possibly take it out, or maybe a cool air intake.

My question is, has anyone else had the same problem? If so, any insight?
Which engine do you have?

Quick Reply: Weird exhaust noise.....08 Ram 1500. NEED HELP!