3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

I've been doing a little thinking on the headlights since I had them smoked out yesterday, and I've come up with a few ideas. I defiantly have no desire to blacken out my factory 20" chrome wheels, nor do I have an intent to purchase black rims. I think with the headlights and tail lights both being black, it kind of just makes the wheels look a little out of place. I don't mind that I smoked the headlights though, I think they are neat for now, but I think I want to buy some clear euro headlights for the truck to match the wheels and clean up the front end.

I think the clear cornered headlight will accent the shiny chrome wheels and badges on the truck. I love the rear being dark, it's just better than popsicles in the back, but I think the front needs to be clear with the chrome grille inserts, the chrome dodge logo in the front, the fog lights, the hemi badge and the wheels. Plus I won't have to worry about my vision being altered at night with the dark tinted headlights. I'm not mad that I had them painted though, it just gave me the motivation to know what I want done with my front end. When I put the clear headlights in, I will buy the chrome coated parking bulbs so you can't see any orange anymore, should look really clean in the front end, and mean in the rear!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my i would keep what you got right now. i think it would look weird when u look at the front and see clear headlights and then the back is smoked... i think they will look outta place even with the chrome rims. if you dont want to get new rims maybe look into powder coating them black...

Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

In all honesty, I think the stock headlights are way too chrome for your application. I know what you mean though by having too much blacking making your wheels look out of place. Love the idea of a clear corner.

Heres my suggestion: Either get black headlights (the stock style, just black outsides instead of all chrome) or get the stock ones again and paint them black. You can even tint that clear corner if you so desire. There will still be plenty of shine up there because the insides of the projectors are so big, but the black outsides helps break it up.

Heres mine: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...d-a-video.html

Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could always take your headlights apart and just remove the orange(amber) reflector for free.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Do you think the headlights being black makes the chrome wheels look stupid? I really don't feel like people telling me the truck looks sweet except it needs black rims lol.

How can I get in there to take that amber reflector out? I think that might be what's causing the awkward look having that orange sticking through still? Knowing me, I just need to take my time and not go buying something. I have terrible OCD and cannot stand when something looks wrong, I just always wants to fix it immediately lol.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it dont look bad you need to just give it a couple days, it looks good!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
Do you think the headlights being black makes the chrome wheels look stupid?
I don't think anything about your truck looks stupid, I think that it looks good. Right now you have a nice balance of black and chrome, which is a very good and very well liked look. If it were me, I would take a few days and think about what you want before making another decision. Sometimes the look of things grow on you after giving it a few days.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Thanks again guys for all of the compliments on the truck, it's very generous. Should I be looking into getting the foglights done, or what are guys doing with those when tinting out their headlights?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Monday I met back up with the guy at the collision center who did my tails and heads just to kinda chat about the truck. I loved the work he did for the tails, but I told him how I was bumming a little on the headlights. I explained to him how guys on the forum bake their headlights and seperate them so they can paint the chrome part of the lights. He kind of chuckled, and then much to my surprise, told me he would be willing to help me do that project next weekened. So we're going to paint the insides, but I wasn't really sure what I should do with that amber lense. Should I remove it completely, or just paint it extremely dark?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
cjs4444
All Star

Well im glad you have some help....i think you will love the look....i want to do it just waiting for the wife to leave the house long enough to do it.....

and BTW tell whoever says you should get black rims to buy them for you and then you will have them....f*** them man, your truck, your money......YOU should be happy

Quick Reply: Headlights